Sunday, August 20, 2023

Mad God

This is the 2021 Phil Tippett stop-motion animation film literally decades in the making: 

Could I tell you what any of this means? Heck no! Films of the experimental kind aren’t usually my jam-as I’m sure has been made clear for those following for any length of time, narratives are my thing, so ones I don’t care for is when I become pretty peeved. All I can say for certain about this feature length nightmare was that it certainly had a message about how the working person is treated, and this also seems to be anti-war. Otherwise, to me this was a motion picture full of bizarre and grotesque imagery; it’s up to the viewer to decide what interpretation this should have, if any.

The reasons why this is still getting high marks: it’s not just that I have a lot of respect for Phil Tippett and the incredible career he’s had for almost the past 50 years now as a pioneer in the world of stop-motion animation. It’s not even that he started work on this after RoboCop 2, stopped because after Jurassic Park he thought no one would care any longer about stop-motion before being convinced to finish 20 years after that… or even that he literally had a mental breakdown while completing this epic project.

Rather, for better or for worse this is the singular vision of the Dinosaur Supervisor, him totally unfiltered. I don’t really know what this is about aside from an apparent anti-war message and an obvious screed against the mistreatment of workers. Otherwise, the audio and visual presentation is undoubtedly impressive-especially for stop-motion-an 80 minute (before credits) apparent descent into Hell. This was something I was glad to have seen once; do I need to see it again? I’m uncertain of that…

No comments:

Post a Comment