Sunday, January 8, 2023

Deep Red

Deep Red (Profondo Rosso) (1975)

Runtime: I saw the 105 minute cut

Directed by: Dario Argento

Starring: David Hemmings, Daria Nicolodi, Gabriele Lavia, Giuliana Calandra, Macha Meril

From: Rizzoli Film/Seda Spettacoli

I LOVED the Goblin soundtrack, that’s the main highlight most worthy of notation. Actually, another key detail is that I saw the 105 minute cut which is the easiest to find on streaming. Arrow’s site has both that and the longer by 22 minutes original Italian version; presumption made me choose what was shortest. Honestly, at least once the movie seemed long in the tooth so the choice seemed correct.

Then again, early on I spotted a key plot point and before David Hemmings did most of the mystery was solved by me even if the specific reasons why wasn’t known; whether or not this was what Argento intended is unknown. Thankfully this did not ruin the experience of watching jazz pianist Hemmings and plucky newspaper reporter Daria Nicolodi teaming up to investigate the death of a psychic which naturally leads to further murders. There’s even a large creepy mechanical doll which does remind me that soon I plan on checking out M3gan.

Deep Red isn’t my favorite Argento story in terms of plot. However, what elevates it are great deaths-some of which have been later ripped off-a Goblin score I now have heart-eyes for, sets that were usually lovely to look at and sometimes were literally colorful, & the performances from the two leads. Them having an arm wrestling match apropos out of nowhere was baffling at first but they managed to pull off such a scenario. It even made me wish I could be the proletariat of the piano…

No comments:

Post a Comment