Monday, January 2, 2023

National Lampoon's Senior Trip

National Lampoon’s Senior Trip (1995)

Runtime: 91 minutes

Directed by: Kelly Makin

Starring: Jeremy Renner, Matt Frewer, Valerie Mahaffey, Lawrence Dane, Tommy Chong

From: New Line Cinema

Yes, this was watched because of Jeremy Renner. Besides this being his first feature film, it was something I saw when I was a teenager but never as an adult. If I proclaimed that I knew he’d be famous, it’d be a fib on my part. On the contrary, when I was a dumb teen, the thought that Renner would one day become a huge name because he starred or appeared in numerous blockbusters never crossed my mind. At least before last night I’ve been able to do eight reviews of his movies without having once seen him as Hawkeye. The news that he was “in critical but stable condition” after an accident plowing snow-of all things-was a huge shock and not the way that any of us wanted to kick off 2023.

As for the movie itself… honestly, I remembered it as being funnier! The first 20 minutes or so are on the dreadful side, full of vulgar nonsense stereotypes and plenty of buffoonery. Once they set up the plot that a bunch of misfits and one smart girl at a high school in Ohio go on a trip to Washington, D.C. to speak to the President, there are finally some chuckles—not that it’s good by any means, but at least it wasn’t misery. They try really hard to make Tommy Chong’s character the guy that is Cheech’s pal without getting Cheech litigious and Matt Frewer is always good as a smug SOB; this isn’t all that entertaining aside from some moments--despite the presence of Renner, Tara Strong and less recognizable actors who I am sure are trying their best.

This is just full of caricatures where most of the characters are just annoying jerks and it doesn’t even fully mine the potential it has. I suppose the question has been answered of why I only remembered a few moments from a movie I thought was alright at the time. Heck, if you enjoy vulgar comedies like Porky’s, Revenge of the Nerds or Animal House (which this directly alludes to at least once) then you’ll be disappointed as this is incredibly tame in comparison. I would have been better off seeing something else from Renner… or never have watched it again so those negative memories I have of it now wouldn’t be in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment