Thursday, November 24, 2022

The Menu

The Menu (2022) 

89% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 213 reviews)

Runtime: 106 minutes

Directed by: Mark Mylod

Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy, Hong Chau, Nicholas Hoult, John Leguizamo

From: Searchlight Pictures

A meal that had some sour bites, but was still a cheeseburgers & fries sort of fine.

Tuesday night I went and saw this movie at the AMC located at Disney Springs. About 3 months ago that location installed laser projectors in all their auditoriums, not just their Dolby Cinema screen. Due to circumstance and other things I hadn't had a chance to see anything there until now to experience the difference. As expected, the picture does look as bright & vibrant as expected; the place isn't perfect but that element is enough of a draw to influence what I see where.

It only made perfect sense for me to post a review of this film on Thanksgiving in the United States... I'll give salutations to everyone in America. The trailer was seen by me a few times yet what swayed me to check it out was all the glowing reviews here on Letterboxd; like what happens sometimes, I wasn't as blown away w/ a movie as this site was. At least it did not infuriate me like that one metaverse movie from The Daniels... by now people probably not only know the general plot outline of “rich tools go to an exclusive culinary experience on an island, only head chef Ralph Fiennes is a lunatic”, but that it was funnier & darker than the trailer let on.

The movie did have its share of laughs-the movie worked relatively well for the crowd-so there are no regrets in the theatrical experience. It had a nice cast where Fiennes and Anya Taylor-Joy were the standouts, and the rich or otherwise “elites” were skewered. It wasn't tremendously sophisticated but the biggest problem for me was that some of the food offered-meaning a plot twist or just a plot point in general-were not tasty to me—in fact, I sighed a few times. Furthermore, I don't think it quite nailed the ending either, or even should have gone w/ such an ending.

Yet I don't want to sound too negative here, as I'm still giving this a “good” rating-no raging out a la Gordon Ramsay in a filthy restaurant. The Menu offered enough morsels that were satisfying where I was often entertained by many dark moments-although the tone was sometimes cruel to the point of not being fun. All that said, it's not a dish I'd send back as among other things, it does poke fun at the most pretentious “the phone eats first” foodies out there. The fact that this was an original plate instead of a rehash was also a plus. For many people-at least on Letterboxd-they will find this to be a tasty treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment