Sunday, November 27, 2022

Daffy Duck's Movie: Fantastic Island

Yep, I revisited that 78 minute movie on Friday night. I explain what it is below: 

First off, I am now back on my typical schedule; yesterday I returned from time spent out of town at another person’s house for Thanksgiving. Good times were had, although nothing was actually watched during that entire day. ‘tis OK, as I’ll catch up sometime in December.

As you might suspect, this was something from my childhood; the VHS was rented by mom way back when more than once. At the time Looney Tunes was on each Saturday morning so that was watched by me, along with various compilations of various Classic Merrie Melodies shorts that were also on VHS. Fantastic Island was one of several compilations that Warner Brothers did in the 70’s through the 80’s which were tied together various classic cartoons via a bridging sequence; in this case it was a spoof of Fantasy Island, a popular show at the time which I have the faintest memories of via reruns at the same time of youth I first watched Fantastic Island.

Daffy Duck and Speedy Gonzalez spoof Mr. Roarke and Tattoo; Gonzalez was a character that got canceled WAY before that become a common part of our lives. As I haven’t watched any classic media involving him in decades, there’s no personal comments on whether or not that stereotypical character is “grossly offensive” or not; thus, I can laugh at Speedy spoofing Herve Villechaize. The duo find a wishing well on a deserted island and being good capitalists, create a lush tropical resort where old cartoons are shown as people’s desires coming true.

It is easy to spot what animation is new and what isn’t; despite that and all the old shorts being edited down at least a bit, overall this end product isn’t bad. Some of the OG material may be hard to track down (at least legally)—nostalgia may also be playing a role here. Heck, from what I understand the other movies like this-which I don’t remember as well, if I even saw them all-featured better classic cartoons. Yet I was amused enough where there are no regrets in this journey back a few decades to my early youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment