Monday, January 18, 2021

I Watch More Laurel & Hardy

In particular, the 1929 silent short Liberty. I explain why below: 

The way I've been feeling as of late, a short devoted to a pair of men unsuccessfully exchanging pants with each other was what I needed.

I won't go into details but 2021 has not gotten off to the best start; some days haven't been so hot. Of course it's mild compared to some of the days I had in 2020 but that does not diminish how poor some days have been. Last night was not the time to see something feature length. Instead, I went w/ one of Laurel & Hardy's most popular shorts. The very idea that the plot solely revolves around the duo escaping from prison, putting on the wrong pair of pants in the getaway vehicle, and they are unable to find a spot to exchange trousers... either greatly absurd or absurdly great.

Turns out, trying to find a spot out in public in Los Angeles is difficult; this leads to many awkward situations where others spot these two men taking off their pants. This leads to the duo walking the girders of a still under construction high rise (the highlight of this short) and... a crustacean. In less than 20 minutes this was pretty consistently funny AND had a brief appearance from a pre-fame Jean Harlow, meaning that I now know she had multiple appearances with this legendary duo. It also ends on a great visual gag. Like I said before, more from Laurel & Hardy needs to be viewed by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment