Saturday, January 16, 2021

Ju-On: The Grudge

Ju-On: The Grudge (2002)

Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Takashi Shimizu

Starring: Megumi Okina, Misaki Ito, Misa Uehara, Yui Ichikawa, Kanji Tsuda

From: Several different Japanese companies

Certainly the messiest onryo I've ever seen.

Back this past Halloween season, I finally saw the original Ring, and it received a favorable rating. Elsewhere, I was asked if I had viewed any of The Grudge series of films; I had not, whether it be from Japan or the USA. As this was on Prime last night seemed like the right time to experience this. Turns out, I do prefer Ring to this... although I can still give Ju-On a nice rating.

As there quite frankly isn't too much to this story, it won't be the lengthiest review from me. The plot and its nonlinear nature was not expected, and it can be questioned if that was the best way to tell this. What are huge benefits to Ju-On is the general idea of its story being so creepy (a cursed house due to a horrific event... and it affects anyone who lives or even lives in the house afterwards) and the genuine scares that are present. There are quite a few images and at least one scene I'll never forget due to its chilling nature. This was obviously low-budget affair which does not have much in the way of graphic moments or gore, yet it wasn't really necessary for how this was presented. Both the images and sound help

Perhaps one day I'll check out the American remake The Grudge, due to it also being a creation of Takashi Shimizu. For all I know that would be the place where a pressing question I had was asked... or maybe it was somewhere else among all the media this story has been presented. Why exactly do all the onryo (vengeful Japanese ghosts) leave garbage all around the house as a calling card? I have not even began trying to look for that information myself-out of context it is pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment