Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Beyond Skyline

Beyond Skyline (2017)

Runtime: 106 minutes

Directed by: Liam O'Donnell

Starring: Frank Grillo, Bojana Novakovic, Jonny Weston, Callan Mulvey, Iko Uwais

From: Many different companies

Technically, a rare sequel better than the original.

Long ago I saw then reviewed the original Skyline. In short, the effects did not look bad-not a shock, as the movie was from effects guys-but the story and characters were so rotten, the film was overall a stinker. At the time it was seen, I already knew of the rumors of a Beyond Skyline; I scoffed it off as in all likelihood it would be another pile of crap. A few years ago this came out and what a surprise it was between the cast of familiar faces and the good word out there. Finally, last night I gave this a shot, and... seeing the name of ANTONIO FARGAS in the opening credits was not the only time I yelled out, “What?!”

Frank Grillo, his dumbass young adult son, and some random people end up in an alien spaceship. It crashes in the country of Laos, which is how Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian get involved. Beyond that I won't spoil the story; besides the joy in discovering what bizarre moment would happen next, some may not believe me and think I am ribbing people by mentioning fake story elements for a laugh. It was bonkers and that provided me plenty of enjoyment. Before anyone asks, Skyline does not need to be seen first... aside from two recast characters briefly showing up here, it hardly has anything to do with Beyond.

While I wish the martial arts action would have been more clearly shot, that was only a part of the overall action and that usually was done competently. The effects and overall look typically was fine. The wide variety of ratings on Letterboxd makes sense as Beyond Skyline is more wacky than good; personally, I can give it three stars due to the fun factor and all the crazy moments. The fact that this is quite gory & features such graphic moments as limbs being ripped off and oh yes... brains being extracted from skulls. In addition, There are no memories from me concerning Frank Grillo in The Grey or Homefront; thus, just now I finally realize why many people like him & wanted him to portray The Punisher.

Later this month, the third movie in this series is set to be released; from buzz, it's even better than the second. What an odd franchise this is turning into.

No comments:

Post a Comment