Saturday, December 5, 2020

Love, Guaranteed

Love, Guaranteed (2020)

Runtime: 90 minutes

Directed by: Everyone's “favorite” comic book movie director, Mark Steven Johnson

Starring: My gal Rachael Leigh Cook, Damon Wayans, Jr., Heather Graham, Caitlin Howden, Brendan Taylor

From: Netflix

As I catch up here today, three reviews will be posted throughout Saturday. First:

Someone not having seen The Fugitive in full was not a minor plot point I was expecting here.

Those who have followed me on Letterboxd for a long while and are a Netflix member may have wondered why I only just saw this Netflix exclusive last night. After all, it stars and was even produced in part by one of my favorites, Rachael Leigh Cook. To be honest, the romantic comedy genre is one of my least favorites and I was worried this would be a glorified Hallmark Channel film with the twist that the relationship is interracial.

It's actually not quite that insipid. They try to be more “hip” than that. After all, a supporting character is openly gay, they licensed Tiffany's version of I Think We're Alone Now and my gal drives-of all vehicles-a 60's/70's car (Volkswagen Karmann Ghia) which is beat up to hell. The movie is still rather predictable: a fool-Damon Wayans, Jr.-hires lawyer Rachael in order to file a frivolous lawsuit against a dating website because he hasn't found a relationship yet. OF COURSE lawyer and client suddenly fall in love.

It's not something I'd ever call great by any means but at least an average rating can be applied. There were moments and lines that made me chuckle-another unexpected moment was a Heraclitus reference-throughout & it's rather inoffensive. Of course I got a big unintended laugh out of Damon's character and what dumb decision he made at the end even though it cost him a lot of dough. To be blunt, your opinion will vary depending on your views concerning “rom-coms” and my opinion is biased because I stan the lead. It was also nice seeing Heather Graham in a supporting role as it's been years... a more unifying opinion is the reaction when I reveal this film's director was... Mark Steven Johnson. Without having seen either Daredevil or Ghost Rider, many people here would be more than happy to inform me how bad both are.

No comments:

Post a Comment