Sunday, September 20, 2020

Chaw

Chaw (Chawu) (2009)

Runtime: A way too long 122 minutes

Directed by: Shin-Jung Won

Starring: Uhm Tae-Woong, Jung Yu-Mi, Jeong Yu-Min, Josiah D. Lee, Yoon Je-Moon

From: A few South Korean companies

This is the first of two reviews I'll be posting today, I had a natural double feature yesterday. First was a South Korean picture I have on DVD via someone I know on a messageboard mailing it to me a few years ago-long story I won't get into here. The fact that he did not want it anymore was a sign, along with several private comments he said to me at the time. Still, I went into it with an open mind.

Alas, this film-which was put on disc in the United States as Chawz because this blatantly riffs on Jaws-was not that much fun for me. Sure, it is a comedy which did make me laugh a few times. Be that as it may, there was plenty of “comedy” and much of it was more irritating than inspired any sort of mirth or joy in me. Buffoon stereotypical characters, slapstick that annoyed-and this is coming from a slapstick fan-a distinct lack of gore, and me not giving a damn about a dope and his dopey family meant that this was not too enjoyable for me. The 122 minute runtime did it no favors, either.

There isn't too much else to say about a picture which has people constantly falling down, the lead having a senile mother, contains too much comedy, and too often looked cheap-a criticism I don't usually make. Stick with The Host instead if you want a Korean movie involving a killer creature that is a humorous take on the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment