Friday, September 18, 2020

Southbound

Southbound (2015)

Runtime: 89 long minutes

Directed by: Radio Silence/Roxanne Benjamin/David Bruckner/Patrick Horvath

Starring: A bunch of nondescript actors, most of whom I hadn't heard of before

From: Some random companies

Why it is so hard to make a GOOD horror anthology in the 21st century?

I realize many will vehemently disagree with the very low rating I am applying to something I found to be confused nonsense but plenty of film fans seemed to dig. I'll explain in a moment why this did not work for me and only one segment was even passable. In the past I have bemoaned all the crappy 21st century horror anthologies I have seen... every bad V/H/S movie, The ABC's of Death, Chillerama... those are the “highlights” that come to mind when I think of examples. The only one I've enjoyed was Trick 'r Treat and that is very good in general, something that all horror fans should check out if they haven't done so already. Time and time again I've waited to see another anthology made after the 90's which can even be classified by me as being fine. I thought this could be one...

Sadly, this effort from a variety of directors was not it.

It got off to the worst possible start as an utter nonsense segment was shown which was just laughable all around, including awful CG skeletal creations that were some sort of wraith creatures-which unfortunately are seen throughout all the segments-and plenty of groan-worthy moments. And this was from Radio Silence, a trio of directors who made one of the few decent segments in any of the V/H/S films and Ready or Not was a fun time. This, though... it just sucked. The rest of the segments except for one were either utterly illogical and/or just dopey wastes of time that weren't scary & I couldn't have given less of an F about most of the characters. The only one that I didn't hate was Siren; no, it's not because it starred a female rock band. Rather, it was straightforward and even with a daffy ending, it did not make me hate life like the rest did in something that unfortunately had the stories intertwined w/ each other.

A shame that the desert setting got wasted; a barren landscape, isolation, brutally hot temperatures... of course various flicks have used it to nice effect-such as The Hitcher or The Hills Have Eyes... at least the original versions did. It is a shame that I got far less out of this than most people did-yet I won't BS you people by being dishonest. The rest of the spooky season at least one further anthology will be witnessed, and with any luck I'll have more favorable opinions on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment