Friday, June 12, 2020

An Update

Three the Hard Way is still a mediocre movie (at least to me) and because HBO Max has given me problems until last night, I gripe about it below and talk a movie from... 1896!

Where I talk more about HBO Max than this 3 ½ minute short.
The original plan was not to only view something real short and for the first (& maybe only time) discuss something from the 19th century. But when you were going to try something out on HBO Max and buffering made that impossible... earlier this month I signed up for it mainly to view a property they exclusively have available for streaming. A few days ago I tried to use the site, only to discover it was down. Last night I tried again and that did not work. Between the relatively high cost, the lack of selection for my tastes and the inability for me to actually use it... after my month is up I am thinking I won't be back there ever again. Note that this has nothing to do with the stupid Twitter controversy where a few nights ago, too many on Twitter soiled themselves because they thought Gone with the Wind was off the platform for good, when in actuality it will soon return, albeit with a disclaimer at the beginning. At least sometime later in the summer Disney + will FINALLY be tried by me.
All that said, my plans turning sour for certain soured my mood. Thus, the last minute decision to instead view something from the 1800's; might as well go with the influential Georges Meiles. This is not to be confused with the 1897 short from the same director also known as The Haunted Castle. It is said to be the first horror film, although it is more fanciful than terror-inducing. A bat appears and transforms into Satan. He does various magic tricks, done via primitive effects. A pair of cavaliers show up and are at first bamboozled by his dark arts, until the end when a crucifix solves their problems.
This receives a high rating for me mainly due to historical significance and how this was lengthy & ambitious for the time. Besides, the French title literally translates to "House of the Devil" & this was far better than the Ti West movie of the same name.

No comments:

Post a Comment