Friday, June 5, 2020

VFW


Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Joe Begos

Starring: Stephen Lang, William Sadler, Fred Williamson, Martin Kove, Sierra McCormick

From: Fangoria

Where William Sadler was the acting highlight & characters have names such as Boz, Tank, Gutter and Roadie.

I had the time and ability to see two movies yesterday; barring any complications the other one will be posted later in the day. Ever since I viewed the trailer for this last year, I was greatly amused... I mean, a retro-themed 80's movie set in a VFW hall starring a bunch of old actors I enjoy? Last night the plunge was taken as I created a double-feature vastly different from one another except for one thing.

It is the near-future, a new drug called Hype has taken over the street, and a young lady named Lizard steals the supply from a real A-hole & ends up at a VFW hall (a bar for ex-soldiers) filled with several old guys-along with a young man who just came home from a tour of duty-and much carnage occurs as doped-up punks attempt to retrieve the drugs. Now, I've seen director Joe Begos' Almost Human, an obvious Carpenter riff which had a bad story/characters so I was not a fan. This, I see that he still loves Carpenter; this is no Assault on Precinct 13-or Rio Bravo, for that matter-but this was still enjoyable for what it was.

Retro movies which are bathed in neon light and have a pounding synth score seem almost cliché in the middle of 2020; this does that... at least it was done well. The music, great... the effects, practical (although perhaps much of it was in low lighting to hide them... that is alright with me), the cast, always nice to see Stephen Lang, William Sadler, Fred Williamson, Martin Kove, a cursing George Wendt, and David Patrick Kelly. Among the youths, Sierra McCormick as Lizard left the biggest impression.

This has an obvious target audience; those that like a grindhouse experience with plenty of visceral moments, ribald humor-some of which did make me howl with laughter-and a general over the top nature, this may be just the ticket for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment