Thursday, April 16, 2020

I See Another Harold Lloyd Short

Just Neighbors (1919)

Runtime: 9 minutes

Directed by: Harold Lloyd/Frank Terry

Starring: Lloyd, Bebe Daniels, Snub Pollard

From: Rolin Films

The past 24 hours (from late Tuesday afternoon to late Wednesday afternoon) I only had the time/motivation for something short; henceforth, my viewing of a 9 minute picture from Harold Lloyd on the Criterion Channel. It looks a lot better than the copies on YouTube; skimming through one of them that is 13 minute long... the difference in time is simply because the film is played at different speeds. There are also different intertitles, which I am mentioning due to one on the Criterion version having an amazing phrase, as I'll mention in a bit.

The first few minutes are Lloyd attempting to commute home; even a century ago, that is a real hassle. The rest is Harold and his wife feuding with his neighbor and the neighbor's wife. This includes the two couples accidentally and then on purpose destroying each other's property due to such calamities as the neighbor's chickens escaping and the neighbor's failed attempts at building a small shed. Things change when what looks like a 2 year old girl ends up in the middle of a busy street... no, really.

This is fast-paced and a LOT happens. Naturally, there are many laughs per minute. It came close to being too exhausting but for me did not make it over that precipice into total excess. There are a few intertitles and my favorite involved the dog of the Lloyd family. It was part of an argument involving the wives and Harold's dame responded, “He's a good Presbyterian dog!”, which is quite the turn of phrase. It reminds me that I should view more of these Lloyd shorts as they are something I in general provide me with plenty of mirth and chuckles.

No comments:

Post a Comment