Wednesday, April 22, 2020

I Viewed The DisneyNature Documentary Bears

It was perfect for the day today: 

I usually don't post reviews at this time of night but with my schedule and today being the 50th anniversary of the first Earth Day, it seemed only logical to check out a DisneyNature production on the day then immediately afterwards write and post a review. Bears was selected in part due to its Alaska setting; that is an area I visited as a kid, 26 years ago. I'd love to return sometime later in life as it's a gorgeous area you could spend many days in.

Last April I saw DisneyNature's Penguins on an IMAX screen; viewing that proved what I heard. It was family friendly and that concoct a story to be audience-pleasing; it is not as serious and austere as something from the Discovery Channel (at least the old Discovery Channel, not the network that does obvious phony crap for its Shark Week) or the Planet Earth miniseries. Here, the narrator is someone I am sure is beloved among most Letterboxd users: John C. Reilly. Except for his Adult Swim work-I would rather stick my head in a vat of muriatic acid than watch any of it-there's no beef with me and him.

A year in the life of a mama bear (Sky) and her two cubs Amber and & Scout are shown. The expected adventures happen... confrontations w/ other bears, a wolf tries to kidnap one of the cubs, they are always looking for food, etc. This is rather silly; aside from the at times goofy narration, this suggests that there is one raven in particular which on multiple occasions assists Sky and kids in locating grub.

That said, at least this had adorable animals to look at throughout, a wide variety of other animals (fish and birds are the chief examples) and always stunning Alaskan scenery; perfect for Earth Day. While I am more of a “serious nature documentary” sort of fellow, at least this was fine and demonstrated the struggles that a mama bear has raising her cubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment