Thursday, March 1, 2018

Annihilation

Annihilation (2018)

85% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 157 reviews)

Runtime: 115 minutes

Directed by: Alex Garland

Starring: Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny

From: Paramount... at least if you are in North America or China

I don't love this, yet the movie is still very good: 

What a crime it is... being “too smart” for an average audience? Admittedly the average moviegoer may not enjoy this because it's bold and provocative or it becomes quite weird or it broaches thought-provoking topics. I find it to be a real shame there was a feud among producers concerning an attempt to “dumb down” this movie (thankfully the producer that had the most power was the one that supported Alex Garland's vision so nothing was changed; as the guy who wanted to change things gave the world such cinematic masterpieces as Geostorm...) and then there's me feeling bad for many of my mutuals, who live all across the world.

Paramount wants to be buddy-buddy with Netflix so outside of North America and China, the world has to watch it on Netflix instead of theatrically. That makes them look like another dumb Hollywood studio... as of late most of their movies the past year or two haven't done well and I am sure they are glad that new Mission: Impossible is this summer. As for mother!... and their support, they only fully supported such a controversial movie as they really wanted more box office as so much of their product has struggled there. Cloverfield Paradox also being dumped on Netflix is apparently because the movie is no good-at least that's the general consensus-and while this was never going to be a box office smash, no way should it be painted with the same brush as Paradox. The movie is gorgeous to look at as it's full of stellar images and it sucks you international people are robbed of such an experience.

As for the movie, I won't give away the plot aside from what was mentioned in the trailers; personally I wish the trailers would have been more vague but I feel that way most of the time. Natalie Portman and a few other ladies go into The Shimmer, a bizarre alien anomalous region that formed a few years ago and only one person has come out of it, which is especially a problem as it keeps on growing. They experience odd moments and I'll leave it at that... although I have to say that Tarkovsky was an obvious influence.

I understand some of the nitpicks and I wasn't enraptured and captivated like I was when I first saw Ex-Machina. There still was part of the plot where information is spoon-fed to the audience; it was for things that was obvious to me and I am not sure how anyone but the dumbest rube could be confused by those points; thankfully that's a small aspect. There's also ambiguity and I was happy to have my mind stoked by this film. I overheard some people engaged in lively debate over the events you see in the final act. The talented cast does an admirable job and there are some utterly terrifying moments.


I am glad I saw this in its intended format, an opportunity far too few will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment