Monday, March 26, 2018

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)


Runtime: 110 minutes

Directed by: Steven S. DeKnight

Starring: John Boyega, Scott Eastwood, Cailee Spaeny, Burn Gorman, Charlie Day

From: Universal/Legendary

Yes, this is a "movie sequel" in many different ways, much to my dismay: 

As I reviewed a few days ago, I still enjoy the OG Pacific Rim even if it has flaws and cliches are a-plenty. Not everyone clamored for a sequel yet as it was made by Legendary Entertainment, the film did very well in China and as Legendary was purchased by the Wanda Group (a Chinese company), it was only natural for this to occur. Boy, was it missing the del Toro touch.

I won't say much about the plot, and y'all probably saw the trailers already anyhow. The kaiju monsters return 10 years after the events of the first film; Stacker Pentecost's son is John Boyega and several characters from the first are here. I saw this on a Premium Large Format screen (Dolby Cinema at AMC, to be exact) and as I expected, the movie looked and sounded great. To steal a phrase, there's plenty of boom boom, bang bang.

I can say that while the movie has its fight scenes in the daytime which make it different from the rainy night battles in the first, the action scenes still are fun to watch (them never being difficult to follow is always a positive) and the addition of a rogue Jaeger robot was an interesting spin. Boyega was the highlight-as I expected-but most of the cast was fine. Considering this was her very first movie and it was a big role, young Cailee Spaeny did quite good. I wasn't sure about Scott Eastwood but I thought he was fine; the character was very rote admittedly... his performance was still fine. What a homoerotic relationship between the people played by Boyega & Eastwood. Like with the first, the main players are a diverse bunch in terms of ethnicity and of course I am usually fine with such a thing.

Unfortunately, this movie is really stupid-plenty of preposterous and silly moments happen. At times I laughed at how dumb they were, but I couldn't always do that. There were more cliches to witness but my biggest issues surrounded one character. You see, I had more than one problem with this role and I won't say much as it's massive spoilers except that I ended up groaning whenever this over the top farcical person would appear and yeah I had a big problem there.

While this isn't the worst modern blockbuster I've seen by any means, it is still a modern blockbuster and I don't even watch most of them as most of them are brainless, soulless, intelligence-insulting, etc. This movie won't resonate with me like the first one does, although thankfully it is not as putrid as one of those Transformers abominations.

I'll close this out by mentioning how there's both a brief reference to an anime featuring robots (which caused someone by me to exclaim out loud but I had no idea what it was until I saw it explained once I returned home) and a line that was lol-worthy. I haven't watched either of these divisive films but I know many had problems with an important aspect in the final act of Man of Steel so in Batman v. Superman, I know they went out of their way to explain the part of a city that got destroyed “was still in the midst of being built so no one lives there”, which sounds contrived to me. Here, they explain that everyone in a huge city has evacuated so it's OK when you see the area get wrecked. I call poppycock on that, as I do not buy the idea of millions of people getting the hell out of Dodge with not a lot of forewarning.

No comments:

Post a Comment