Monday, October 16, 2017

Honeymoon

Honeymoon (2014)

Runtime: 87 minutes

Directed by: Leigh Janiak

Starring: Most of this movie is just Rose Leslie and Harry Treadaway

From: Fewlas Entertainment

You know, this is a horror movie on Netflix Instant actually worth watching; see why below: 

I figured it was time for me to watch some more modern horror during this spooky season so I went with a flick I heard praise for a few years ago but never got around to watching until now. This is one of those films that takes its time, but I am not saying that in a pejorative way; it's not dreadfully dull and boring like some recent horror movies... I won't name names...

Bea (Rose Leslie) and Paul (Harry Treadaway) are indeed a couple that just got married. They have their honeymoon at a cabin owned by Bea's parents. They are an average couple of average means. They act like typical newlyweds, meaning that yes, “sex” is a part of the equation, and frequently. Most of the movie is just those two characters. One night she wanders aimlessly in the woods and that's when things change... the time spent before that was important as not only did you get to know the two, but you see how differently they act to each other after that fateful night.

I don't want to say much else as the probably cliché phrase “going in cold” does apply here. Besides, the movie can be interpreted several different ways, and how you like this may depend on how well you think this succeeded at delivering a certain message. Me, I say that the movie was successful at being ambiguous and the story read literally works in large part due to not only the filmmaking craft but also the performances of Leslie and Treadaway. I appreciated how it wasn't a standard horror movie, although there are still some gross moments. I now know why it got some strong praise at the time; it can currently be streamed on Netflix Instant and I am sure it's better than a lot of the dreck you can find in the horror section on that service.

No comments:

Post a Comment