Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Thing

The Thing (1982)

Runtime: 109 minutes

Directed by: The incomparable John Carpenter

Starring: Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, Keith David, T.K. Carter, Richard Dysart

From: Universal

How have I not reviewed the movie on this page until now? I've had this page since August of 2009; I am baffled too but at least I finally mixed that mistake. Read why I love this movie below: 

For a movie to write about on Halloween I figured it should be one that's awesome, and for a long while I've been thinking of giving this a proper review, and the time has finally come. After all, I think that John Carpenter has directed plenty of films that are at least “good” but this one is my personal favorite.

I will make the assumption most known the plot and what happens in Antarctica, Winter 1982 where an accident happens involving Swedes... I mean Norwegians and an Alaskan Malamute dog ends up in the American camp. What results is an alien that can imitate any organism and that naturally leads to plenty o' paranoia. I admit the conceit of the alien is pretty wacky (not only can it imitate any organism but also absorb its thoughts and personality) but who knows what otherworldly life forms are capable of so I can't say it's impossible... plus, that was the original novella Who Goes There?, by John W. Campbell, Jr., and as 1951's The Thing from Another World only loosely followed that story, this was a case where there was a good reason for a remake.

The grotesque abominations that Rob Bottin created are definitely still incredible and those effects thankfully are effective even 35 years later; as tubular as they were, they aren't the only reasons why I rate this so highly. The setting was brought to life and at least for me, you feel as frozen as the characters were living in such a frozen world. The all male cast was filled with memorable characters (led by MacReady, played by someone I wish I was related to in Kurt Russell) and it was great seeing them all handle this threat in their own ways. Then you have people trying to figure out who if anyone has been replaced, and the legendary scene where they came up with a way to via blood to figure out the conundrum... it's awesome as the paranoia is so thick you can cut it with a knife and along with all the horror there is also plenty of suspense.

The film also shows plenty of skill behind the camera. Shooting in such conditions must not have been easy but you can't tell from watching the movie. While it was not in his wheelhouse, the Morricone electronic score is tremendous, as he was aping what Carpenter would have done on the keyboard. Way back when, the Razzies used to have a Worst Score category, and somehow what Morricone did here was nominated. This is great proof of something I have known for many years now: the opinions of the Razzies has always been worthless and their opinions should be discounted. I could go on for paragraphs as to why this is the case, but them always having such a hard-on and hating Sly Stallone is a big reason alone.

Anyhow... when it first came out the critics nor the public did not care for the movie, for whatever reasons. The poor box office performance isn't such a surprise considering the competition included E.T., Poltergeist, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and Blade Runner. Thankfully the passage of time has allowed for The Thing to receive all the accolades it did not receive in 1982. Talking about this movie on Halloween was wholly appropriate and a spectacular idea on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment