Saturday, July 23, 2016

Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)

Runtime: 90 minutes

Directed by: Joe Berlinger

Starring: Kim Director, Jeffrey Donovan, Erica Leerhsen, Tristine Skyler, Stephanie Barker Turner

From: Artisan

This is actually a first-time watch, as I had never seen this infamous movie before due to its toxic reputation. Well, even if there are some people out there who want to be hipsters and champion this for being “so underrated”, this is indeed as bad as its reputation says it is. I explain why in my Letterboxd review below: 

After the big news of last night, this seemed appropriate to see... now, I actually heard rumors not that long ago about how Adam Wingard's The Woods was actually a sequel to The Blair Witch Project (it's why I saw that movie again recently) yet hearing that those whispers were true still raised my eyebrows. As I dig the people involved, I have very high hopes for the movie. As for this picture in particular, I never saw it before as I only heard the worst things about it. Yet, as of late I've actually come across some positive reviews and people saying that the movie should be reappraised. After seeing this... I have to agree with the majority.

I imagine many of you know why this is infamous; unlike the original this is presented as a traditional film, although in its world the Blair Witch Project is a film that happened, and it's all fake. We follow a bunch of unlikable asshats as they participate in a guided tour of the region and the tour is led by a REALLY unlikable asshat, and weird things start happening. Now, some of the ideas presented are fine in theory... I am talking about such things as how publicity wasn't always welcome in the real life town of Burkittsville, Maryland (even though most of The Blair Witch Project wasn't actually filmed in that tiny town), how there were different groups of people tramping all across the woods, and how some exploited the publicity from the first movie. However, most of it wasn't well done and instead came off as ham-fisted. The same goes for the stereotypes of the characters (arguing couple, stoner D-bag, Wiccan woman with a persecution complex, goth girl who is apparently psychic) we have to deal with.

I know that after the original cut was filmed, the dreaded “studio interference” happened and I feel bad that director Joe Berlinger had that happen to him. It certainly explains why the movie is a gigantic mess all around and even taking into account the main plot point of how everyone suffers a mental breakdown, things don't make a lot of sense. I imagine the original version wouldn't have such bad music (for the most part) throughout, despite the presence of some talented acts... and NICKELBACK. Yet, studio interference can't explain away how all the characters are pretty loathsome and you don't like them even a small amount, or the pretty bad acting from everyone or some of the horrid dialogue. They didn't successfully polish a turd, but it's still a turd. Honestly, a reason why I don't have it rated even lower is that I got some solid unintentional laughs of this pile of crap.

At least Blair Witch has a real low hurdle to jump over in order to be better than Book of Shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment