Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Infiltrator

The Infiltrator (2016)

65% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 94 reviews)

Runtime: 127 minutes

Directed by: Brad Furman

Starring: Bryan Cranston, John Leguizamo, Benjamin Bratt, Diane Kruger, Yul Vazquez

From: Broad Green Pictures

I went and saw this movie on the big screen Thursday night. Not a lot of people have gone and seen this movie in the United States, which I think is unfortunate because while not everyone loves this, I think the film deserves better. My review-as always-is below:

Before Thursday night-when I saw this on the big screen-it was just a few days beforehand that I even knew this movie existed. I only heard small bits and pieces of the true story of Robert Mazur, who in the late 1980's went undercover for the U.S. Customs Service and infiltrated the drug trade of the infamous Pablo Escobar; with his work a major bust happened and it even brought down a giant-yet corrupt-bank. I haven't read Mazur's book of the same name that this is based upon but in the future I will.*

Admittedly, this is probably tailor-made for me. I am interested in hearing about such things as the 80's drug trade in Florida, it being set in 80's Florida is pretty rad, and I enjoy seeing something from a cast as strong as this has. I've never seen Breaking Bad** but from other things I've seen in the past yet haven't reviewed here, I know that Bryan Cranston is a fantastic actor and he did a great job here. The rest of the cast worked well with their roles, from John Leguizamo to Amy Ryan and Diane Kruger as people who help out Mazur to enemies such as Benjamin Bratt and Yul Vazquez. As some of those people had to be undercover, it was interesting seeing those dual roles.

The case starts off in Tampa, Florida, so it was nice for me to recognize some locations as I've been in Tampa many times. I laughed when one scene was set at the Odyssey 2001 strip club; no, I haven't been inside (really, I haven't!)... I've just driven by it and along with Mons Venus is one of the most famous strip clubs in the Tampa area. I don't think Odyssey 2001 was actually open in the late 1980's but that may be nitpicking. The movie also filmed in other locations across the globe, in cities where I am not familiar with the adult entertainment.

I understand why some were not big fans of this movie and some of the storytelling could be criticized. I won't go as hard on that or even people saying that this was “tedious”, which I disagree with; I'll just say I hope reading the book will clear up some things. To me, I still enjoyed this movie a lot despite a legit criticism or two. I know I was in for a good time when the opening scene happened, and Cranston entered in another undercover role, and between the popular 80's song playing, his facial hair and incredible jacket he was wearing, it was awesome. The musical choices was too on the nose one time but otherwise I dug all the songs that were used; I especially appreciated the Cymande.

While the story as presented isn't an entirely original or innovative one and it's told in a traditional manner, it doesn't mean I wasn't always entertained by the incredible true story that was told. As Mazur and Cranston were the executive producers, I'll presume that the plot was accurate to the book and that what was said in the book was accurate. I know this was never destined to be a hit; I still hope it does OK at the box office.

* I will not call out anyone by name but not too long ago I saw a mutual in a review say that “movies are always better than books.” I love film but c'mon now; I'll just say I respectfully disagree and move on.

** I know, I know. One day I'll watch the show, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment