Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Veil

The Veil (2016)

Runtime: 93 minutes

Directed by: Phil Joanou

Starring: Jessica Alba, Lily Rabe, Thomas Jane, Shannon Woodward, Reid Scott

From: Universal and the infamous Blumhouse

Here is my first 2016 movie, and it was something that appeared on Netflix Instant. It's one of the 500 or so movies that Blumhouse has made in company history. I talk about the backstory to this and how this ends up being an average movie in my Letterboxd review below:

Like many people, I am taken aback by just how many movies Blumhouse puts out in a given year, and the production has only ramped up. Just yesterday, I discovered via a horror website that they (or rather, Universal) dumped THREE movies onto Netflix Instant on the same day. Now, at least for me they weren't listed right away on Instant's Recently Added section-I had to do some scrolling before they appeared-which I thought was curious but I went with this movie rather than Curve or Visions.

I guess it was because I was curious about how this plot was “inspired” by Jonestown and I hoped this wasn't like The Sacrament, which was just a retelling of Jonestown and that was it and it felt so gross to me. Well, they used both that and the Heaven's Gate cult (this cult was Heaven's Veil and the leader was Jim Jacobs) and I am not quite sure if it's good or bad that those things were used and obviously alluded to for a goofy horror film with supernatural elements. Irregardless, it did not grossly offend me like The Sacrament did.

Despite this film being about a small documentary crew, it is NOT found footage, which I know will cause some to breathe a sigh of relief. A little girl manages to survive when the rest of the cult dies after consuming poison, and as an adult she's convinced by that crew (led by someone who also has a connection to the place) to return to their now abandoned compound to try and get answers. Yes, things go wrong.

There are some faces in the supporting cast that you may recognize but the most noteworthy people are the main cast of Jessica Alba (who as an actress is... an attractive lady; nothing's changed there), Lily Rabe and as Jim Jacobs, Thomas Jane. While watching it I thought “Jim Morrison” when it came to his appearance and how he acted; after the film I got on here and saw that a mutual saw this movie too and also thought the same thing, so you'll probably think the same thing. I don't want to say he “hammed it up” but that's what I'll go with; he devoured the scenery with that performance, and with those old-school shades and clothing he wore, it was definitely the most memorable part of this picture.

I am not sure how others will view this movie. I personally thought that the general plot was at least not the same old same old ideas that have been used too much in recent years and the general idea was fine. However, the execution wasn't always there. Eye-rolling dialogue was sometimes a thing, along with things that are overly explained and there are goofy moments too. Plus, there is still horror cliché after horror cliché. Although, while it's not “scary” there are still moments that I'll call “unsettling”.

That said, at least I can say this is average, when “terrible” was a distinct possibility before I started this. I am glad they tried a different idea and as it was directed by the guy who did U2's One video and the 1990 cult favorite State of Grace (Phil Joanou), so the movie is at least competently made. I am not sure what others will think of this but me, I say it's middle of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment