Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Godzilla From The Mid 1980's

Godzilla (the one from 1984... also released in 1985 in a much poorer version with Raymond Burr)

Runtime: The original's 104 minutes

Directed by: Koji Hashimoto

Starring: Ken Tanaka, Yasuko Sawaguchi, Yosuke Natsuki, Keiji Kobayashi

From: Toho

Yes, I saw both the original from Japan and Godzilla 1985, and none of those versions can legally be found in North America. I'll be honest and say I found it at the Megacon convention I went to last weekend. Before I get to the Letterboxd review below where I talk about both cuts, let me bring up the YouTube video to the end credits song you only get in the OG Toho version. It's a LOVE song about Godzilla, sung by a trio of Dutch women in English for a Japanese film. I have no idea why either, but it's hilarious. I'll be back tomorrow night.



As this site unfortunately doesn't split the original from the Raymond Burr version like they do with Godzilla 1954 and Godzilla: King of the Monsters let me clarify that the rating applies to the original Japanese version of this film, known as either Godzilla or The Return of Godzilla. After I talk about that I'll say a few words about Godzilla 1985, put out in the United States by New World Pictures and featuring new scenes with Raymond Burr... and Dr. Pepper.

If you're wondering how I saw both versions when it's never officially received a Region 1 release, I'll be honest and say that at a convention last weekend I purchased a fan-made comp which has those two versions and the international English dubbed cut. As it's unknown when it will get an official Region 1 release (I heard a rumor that it's because of Dr. Pepper owning at least part of the rights over here that's why it hasn't come out; I don't know if it's true or just someone coming up with a somewhat plausible reason to explain it) that is why I made such a purchase. I wanted to see the franchise in order but as this ignores all the sequels that gives me the cheat to see it now... plus, someone I know wanted to hear my opinion of the film. Also, I know I have only seen the first two Japanese films and Godzilla: King of the Monsters then the film from last year in my list of watching/rewatching the series before stopping. From now on I'll try to be more frequent in going through them all and I won't go months before seeing another one. First, the original version from Toho, which I saw subtitled:

While there are some goofy moments (such as giant lice running around, or that one zany homeless guy you see a few times) this is a serious look at how a giant monster attacking Tokyo would be catastrophic not just in physical damage but also in such things as the world economy, and how Japan can be affected by nuclear weapons even if they don't have them, in that the United States and the Soviet Union do (w/ the Americans being more gung-ho in using them, something that was changed in the New World version, as I'll get to in a bit) and accidents can happen and they can have dire consequences for such countries as Japan. All that was interesting along with the expected of seeing a man in a rubber suit trample over a nicely constructed miniature version of Tokyo. I feel that a 3 ½ star rating is appropriate for this. It's both thoughtful and entertaining, with some thrilling scenes.

As for Godzilla 1985... whoo boy. New World Pictures did not do the best with this. Let's talk about the American segments, which are pretty much superfluous and have no impact on the Japanese story... I mean, here the Americans were happy to stop the A-hole Soviets who stupidly set off a nuke when in the original Toho version the Soviets aren't made out to be the enemy and in fact the captain of the ship was trying to STOP it from going off when in '85 the captain wanted to set it off and you see a random hand press a random button to do it; English dubbing and the removal of the dialogue where it's explained that “the Americans” will stop the nuke changed that...

New World did no one any favors, as much of the seriousness was taken out so it just became another giant monster film, the heroes came off as not so heroic and in fact ruder and dumber, the Soviets were made to be war-mongering sapheads who are eager to destroy the world, and for some reason the Americans aside from Raymond Burr are incompetent jackasses who are supposed to be military people but they're imbeciles who call Godzilla “Wonder Lizard” and make jokes about a major world city getting leveled. The white actors aside from Burr are no one anyone has heard of, for good reason. Even old Raymond at times looks regretful he volunteered to return; I hear if it wasn't for him and his advice/suggestions these bits would have been WORSE and that makes me shudder as with him they are low-rent and awful. It's pretty much a one set thing where you get some brief interludes and a few people are either standing or sitting and there's only a few seconds of walking. I think the second best performance in the American segments filmed by the director of Hell Comes to Frogtown (really, he later did that) was the conspicuous Dr. Pepper vending machine you see in one scene!

As if that's not bad enough they really trimmed the original Toho footage and besides taking out many of the thoughtful moments, dialogue is changed and it's just made to be lesser than what it was. Even the homeless guy is more annoying. Both do have the hilarious moment of him “running” away from The Big G; it just looks so hokey. I'd probably rate Godzilla 1985 as 2 stars at best. I you are able to watch a version of this movie, find the OG Toho cut with subtitles, if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment