Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Stripped To Kill

Stripped to Kill (1987)

Runtime: 88 minutes

Directed by: Katt Shea

Starring: Kay Lenz, Greg Evigan, Norman Fell, Pia Kamakahi

From: Concorde-New Horizons

This was not what I was planning on watching last night but someone I know on Facebook (I know him via a movie messageboard) brought up this film I hadn't heard of before, one that would be disappearing off of Instant soon so I figured I should watch it, especially after his hilarious description of that piece of cheese. The IMDb plot description, then the Letterboxd review, then me saying that I'll be back tomorrow... wait, I might as well say that now, I'll be back tomorrow night.

“When Detective Cody Sheehan discovers the body of a stripper from the Rock Bottom dance club, she wants the case. Her partner, Detective Heineman, is equally anxious to make the jump to the prestigious homicide division, but the only way Cody can get the assignment is to go undercover - uncovered - at the club.”

Here's a movie I found out about last night from someone I know online who isn't on (Letterboxd) but is a huge film buff and sometimes watches the most interesting low-budget cheese, and his strong praise for this made me want to see it on Instant before it goes away late Thursday night, although I am sure it's not hard to find online and I did hear it's coming out soon on Blu via Scorpion Releasing.

This is a “sexy thriller” from Roger Corman about a killer who goes after and starts killing the strippers at a low-rent place known as Rock Bottom (appropriate name) so Kay Lenz-a police officer-goes undercover. Yes you do see Kay nude. Her partner is Greg Evigan, who I heard described as a mix between Dolph's version of The Punisher and George Michael circa Faith, and it's an apt comparison. A lot of time is spent with the “entertainers” talking about how crappy their job is and the hard-knock lives they lead. The strip club is owned by a familiar face, that being Norman Fell. If you don't recognize the name... he was Mr. Roper on Three's Company!

The rating is mainly due to entertainment value rather than film quality. Not a lot of time is spent with the main plot and instead you get plenty of stripping and dancing. Many of the routines are more elaborate and outlandish than you'd expect. A regular at the club is known as MR. POCKET, due to a vulgar reason. Evigan's character acts like an A-hole most of the time. Mr. Roper says some things you never thought you'd hear him say.

Yet, I was amused by this goofy thing, which seems best for those out there like Mr. Pocket. I laughed at the horrendous 80's music and hair, that's for sure. Also, what a gleefully preposterous climax it has. I can only imagine how many obscure titles such as this there are on Instant, unknown to even most film fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment