Thursday, July 3, 2014

Colt .38 Special Squad

Colt .38 Special Squad (Quelli Della Caibro 38) (1976)

Runtime: 102 minutes

Directed by: Massimo Dallamano

Starring: Marcel Bozzuffi, Carole Andre, Ivan Rassimov, Riccardo Salvino

From: European Inc.

Last June for the Letterboxd website I followed the lead of many on the site and I did a month where I watched foreign films and put them on a list, as lists are popular on the site. I decided to do it again, as I got those foreign films from Criterion and I'll see at least one theatrically. I figured I should start off the list with a bang by doing an Italian poliziotteschi movie, as I had a feeling I'd enjoy this.

To steal the plot description from Letterboxd, modified so it's actually correct: “When his wife is killed by a local crime lord in a fit of revenge (Ivan Rassimov), a determined police captain (Marcel Bozzuffi) forms his own squad of rogue cops, each of whom wields a .38 Colt revolver, to combat all the crime in the city "

The rest of the review is taken from Letterboxd, with some added info: Turns out, I enjoyed it as much as I typically enjoy the works in this genre. Many of the hallmarks are there: dirtbikes, loose cannon cops, car and/or bike chases, a look at how the bad guys operate, sleaze, and general craziness and some shocking things you probably weren't expecting to see.

This tale about an older cop-who sometimes dresses like he's a grandfather but he's not actually that old-who forms a squad that carries a trademark gun-you can probably guess what it is-that goes after the worst criminals in a random Italian city (they were responsible for killing his wife) was a lot of fun. A large quantity of dynamite is acquired by the bad guys and it's used in a series of bombings. There are indeed some pretty gruesome moments among all the violence you get to see.

Also, some time is spent with a few of the underlings of the villain's gang, which was an interesting touch, especially considering one of them was a woman. Speaking of woman, a singer/actress who became famous in later years contributed two songs to the-groovy-soundtrack and even appears as a singer in a nightclub... Grace Jones!

It had been too long since I had seen a poliziottesci film and this satisfied that itch. I'll relax and not do a review tomorrow night. I'll save typing and posting the review for Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment