Friday, November 8, 2013

RIP Blockbuster

I was planning on watching a movie today to talk about tonight, but today had its ups and downs and for awhile I thought it was going to be pretty bad. So, instead I'll mention how it was announced earlier in the week that for all intents and purposes Blockbuster was shutting down for good, closing down its remaining stores. Yes, they still had stores open and I in fact went to one that was open in my hometown here in Clermont, Florida.

However, up to a few years ago I had never been in a Blockbuster. Way back when (back in the day of Beta tapes and me being a toddler) my parents used to rent tapes at a grocery store. Then, a regular videostore opened up in my town called Videos 4 Le$$. My family and I went there for years. As a teenager I sometimes rented tapes from I believe a Hollywood Video. In college I got tapes from a pretty liberal store at Illinois State University called The Movie Fan. Once I moved down here I went to a few different spots but they all ended up closing down so I had to start using Blockbuster.

I know that not too many are sad about their demise, as they destroyed those mom and pop videostores back in the 90's; I do agree with that. For a long while now I've said elsewhere that I wouldn't be surprised to read one day that they would close down, and on Wednesday I was not surprised by the news.

There is on-demand, Netflix, and Redbox to rent films, but to me it isn't the same as browsing in person at a store and looking for awhile before picking out something to watch. Leave the memories alone!

I'll be back Monday night and as it's Veterans Day I'll try to review something with a military theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment