Saturday, November 2, 2013

Violent Naples

Violent Naples (Napoli Violenta) (1976)

Runtime: 91 minutes

Directed by: Umberto Lenzi

Starring: Maurizio Merli, John Saxon, Barry Sullivan, Elio Zamuto

From: Paneuropean Production Pictures

It's been awhile since I've seen a poliziotteschi film so I figured it was time to watch one. Unlike many I've seen (which I watch via a site I won't reveal as I never want it to be shut down, for selfish reasons) this one is easy to find online as it's on YouTube. I think it's public domain but sometimes I really don't know is a movie qualifies as one or not.

To give my own plot description: This is a sequel to Violent City, a movie I saw in April and reviewed here. This time, the cop with the great cop 'stache known as Betti (Merli) gets transferred to Naples, but he hasn't changed his ways. He's still a real loose cannon cop who is happy to stretch or break the rules in order to bring down the bad guys. There's no shortage of bad guys to deal with, either. There's robbers who end up being rapists, there's bank robbers who try to manipulate things via their leader being on parole (he has to sign in every afternoon and he races there after the robberies in order to try and have an alibi), and there's people who pay protection to underworld forces. This is a very fast-paced film that never lets up.

There were various interesting touches, like Betti using undesireables to obtain information on the big bad guys, and seeing the various tricks of the trade that the villains do to get the advantage. Then there's the usual you get from the genre... car/dirtbike chases, gunfights, fistfights, and yes, sleaze. There are some very violent moments, involving the likes of spiked fences and bowling balls. Nasty... and sweet.

I happen to really enjoy that segment of 70's films and this was a quality example of the subgenre. I got a lot of amusement out of the loose cannon aspects and there are several great setpieces, including one about an hour in and features a chase that turns into a tense showdown involving a cable car and gunplay. There's also a groovy score, which is another typical trademark of this genre. Good times, at least for me.

I won't be back until Wednesday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment