Saturday, April 13, 2013

Violent City



Runtime: 85 minutes (at least that's how long the copy I watched was)

Directed by: Marino Girolami

Starring: Maurizio Merli, Richard Conte, Silvano Tranquilli, Ray Lovelock

From: Fida Cinematografica

Yep, I decided to watch another entry in the Italian crime genre known as poliziotteschi, as I thought it had been too long. This should not be confused with the 1970 film Violent City, from another Italian and thus considered a part of the genre too, despite it being set in New Orleans. That movie stars Charles Bronson and Telly Savalas.

I decided to pick this one out mainly due to its plot sounding like something right up my alley. It stars Merli, a person who commonly appeared in these films. He is a loose cannon cop here, and he certainly has a great cop 'stache. Conte is best known to most people as Barzini from The Godfather.

The plot, straight from the IMDb as it's easy that way: “A detective sick and tired of the rampant crime and violence in his city, and constantly at odds with his superiors, is finally kicked out of the department for a "questionable" shooting of a vicious criminal. However, he is soon approached by a representative for a group of citizens who themselves are fed up with what they see as criminals going unpunished, and they make him an offer he may very well not refuse.”

I'll tell you right now, he doesn't refuse the offer.

Overall, this isn't the wildest and craziest entry in this genre I've seen. It's no The Italian Connection or Rulers of the City. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy this, though; Merli (as Betti) certainly is a loose cannon cop, getting pissed off at how crime-ridden Rome is and how he has to follow certain rules while dealing with the criminals. Note that if he hops in you car and you try to run away, he'll grab you and ram your head into the steering wheel a few times. There is plenty of violence and action to see, and as it's in this genre there is no surprise that there's both a dirtbike and a car chase involved; I think all of the poliziotteschi films I have seen have had both. The highlight of the movie was the long car chase where a lot of destruction and mayhem happens.

The copy of the movie I saw had English subtitles and they weren't always great in terms of spelling or grammar. Yet, I am glad they did make one change. For some reason, an Italian criminal is known as “The Chinese”, at least according to the credits. Well, imagine my surprise when I look on IMDb and the character is known as the most common ethnic slur against a Chinese person, a term I won't repeat here. I am glad the subtitles changed the name! Also, note that you do get some nudity... but it's from a rape.

Overall, I am glad I checked out this movie. It's satisfying to watch, which is always good. I'll be back Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment