Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Rulers of the City



Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Fernando Di Leo

Starring: Harry Baer, Al Cliver, Jack Palance, Vittorio Caprioli

From: Cineproduzioni Daunia 70

Here's another Italian movie from the 70's that I watched courtesy of Netflix Instant Streaming. The big reason why I picked this out was that it starred Jack Palance but I still wasn't sure about it so I saw the first scene, which was a surreal thing but eventually I figured out what was going on and it ended with Jack bitch-slapping a boy who looked to be about 12 and knocking him unconscious; after that, it went to the top of my queue and I watched it in full tonight.

The plot: Tony (Baer) works for the Mob but isn't that high on t e totem pole. He collects debts from debtors who haven't paid their protection fee. He and another guy (Cliver) tick off Scarface Manzari (Palance), a rival gangster and a big bad guy. Those two guys do battle with Scarface and other people get involved too, including the most memorable character of the entire movie, the old and old-school gangster known as Napoli... who happens to be flamboyantly gay! Hey, he always wears and ascot and just from the way he acts, it's obvious.

After watching it this evening, here are the highlights of something I thought was great entertainment:

Concerning Tony, he's obsessed with Brazil. He wears a shirt that says Brasil on it and the cartoon image under those words... I have no idea why it's of a black and white cat fishing on a red sailboat, but I would SO wear that shirt. He also drives around a Brazilian car, the Puma GT, converted to a dune buggy.

The only woman character who really gets any time is a dame named Clara who happens to be a whore. Someone accuses her of being a whore and sleeping with a few of them. She actually admits to being a whore, but says that none of them satisfied her!

Early on, Tony fights a few guys and wins. The fighting itself wasn't too spectacular. But what made it was that some little kids were watching, and once he won... they cheer and applaud.

There is a guy who looks a LOT like either Bud Spencer or Ricky Jay, but is neither of them. I'll go with Ricky Jay as he's a card dealer. It's just a brief appearance.

There's another guy who looks like former football coach Dave Wannstedt. This made me laugh as Wannstedt used to coach my favorite team, the Chicago Bears.

Overall, this is a wildly entertaining crime drama that happens to have its fair share of humor too; there's also some homoeroticism and I'm not talking about Napoli here. Anyhow, the story is always entertaining and the  action is usually fine or better. It's an hour and a half that goes by rather quickly. I am so glad I picked this out at random.

I'll be back Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment