Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Scorched



Runtime: 94 minutes

Directed by: Gavin Grazer

Starring: Alicia Silverstone, Woody Harrelson, Paulo Costanzo, Rachael Leigh Cook, John Cleese

From: Code Entertainment

Here's a random movie I picked out on Netflix Instant (it's also on Hulu) mainly because it would be my first time seeing any movie with Rachael Leigh Cook in it. Yes, I've never seen She's All That. I am surprised by that as for a long while I thought that she was rather attractive and from what I know a fine actress too. I looked at Blockbuster and I couldn't find any of her films there so it was off to Netflix Instant I went and even for someone who has done independent movies for a few years now only some of her flicks are on that service. I picked out this one as it sounded the most interesting to me and plus the cast is pretty nice. Even though she has a supporting role here (and a rather short haircut) she was still entertaining in her role.

The plot is quirky but then again this is a quirky sort of comedy... no, not the same way that a Zooey Deschanel project is... this is better than that!

But yes, the plot... three different people come up with ways to rob the bank that they all work at... all independent of each other and stealing three different spots in the bank. “Woods” Valley (Harrelson) is a rather odd dude who has a pet duck and has it out for infomercial king Charles Merchant (Cleese), who happens to have a safe deposit box at the bank that contains a lot of cash. Stu (Costanzo; he was the curly-haired guy in Road Trip) and an annoying pal decide to steal from a safe in order to bet on roulette in Las Vegas. Sheila (Silverstone) has a boyfriend who is the manager of the bank. They get in a squabble so as revenge she decides to rob the ATM machines in order to get the sleazy boyfriend fired. The punk D&D-playing Shmally (Cook) and her stoner pal also figure into things as the movie starts off at the end and then it switches between the different characters throughout as you see how things ended up the way they did.

Like I said this is quirky, and that also describes some of the music you hear throughout. But while it's not always hilarious it's still amusing to watch and there's a hodgepodge of things (including the weirdness of Woody's character... I presume that in real life Harrelson DOES own a pet duck and lives in a strange desert home! Then there's slapstick, ethical drama over one character stealing the money, a crazy little dog, a house getting egged, etc.) so I definitely wasn't bored by it. While I wouldn't say this was awesome it was still a pleasant-enough time and there were some solid laughs. At least it was something out of the norm and it didn't do anything to get me mad at it.

Plus, I imagine this is the only movie that you'll get to see John Cleese wearing a kimono and headband and wield a shotgun... at the same time! It is as great as it sounds.

I'll be back Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment