Sunday, May 6, 2012

Caliber 9



Runtime: 101 minutes

Directed by: Fernando Di Leo

Starring: Gastone Moschin, Mario Adorf, Barbara Bouchet, Frank Wolff

From: Cineproduzioni Daunia 70

First things first, I have to mention that a few days ago I took advantage of something on my laptop and for the next few months I am a free member of Netflix so I'll be using that service to watch various films via Netflix Instant Streaming. This was the first one I picked out, as I heard about it on a forum. It's a famous example in the poliziotteschi genre; it was popular in Italy in the late 60's and 70's and it deals with such things as the police, corruption, the mob, antiheroes, violence, being a vigilante, and so on and so forth.

The plot of this film is simple yet effective; a gangster just out of prison after serving a 3 year term (Moschin; not that I watch the show but I was told that he looks like Dean Norris of Breaking Bad fame) is believed by both his mobster buddies and the police that he has 300,000 bucks hidden which belong to an American drug syndicate boss, despite his strong protests that he doesn't have the dough. Along the way you see him meet up with his buddies and his lovely galpal Nelly (Bouchet); youalso you get to know his enemies, especially the crazy and menacing Rocco (Adorf, looking like a darker haired and tanned and unibrowed and mustached Jay Leno!). I don't want to give away too much but not everything is as it first appears...

This is one of those slow-burn movies which is never boring. Time is spent with all sides and you get to know them; for example, the police don't always agree on how to do things. When you do get violence it is memorable and it is pretty violent. Why I enjoyed the movie was that it was always interesting and I enjoyed the Milan setting; the characters were also memorable, especially Rocco. If you're not hooked on the movie after you see the awesome opening 5 minutes, where you get to see just how vicious the mob can be if things don't go their way, then the movie is just not for you. Besides, this is the only movie out there where the lead argues with a police commissioner and the commish tells him, in reference to his hot girlfriend, “Go ahead and leave and hang out with her and play with her dangling dingleberries!” Apparently there are multiple meanings to the world dingleberry.

I know I'll be checking out some more poliziotteschi films.

I'll be back Tuesday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment