Monday, April 29, 2013

The Men's Club



Runtime: 101 minutes

Directed by: Peter Medak

Starring: Roy Scheider, David Dukes, Richard Jordan, Harvey Keitel, Frank Langella

From: Atlantic Releasing Corporation

Now, here is something out of the ordinary for me. I found out about this bizarre “only in the 80's” film from someone I know on Facebook. I have no idea how he found this-as it's now really obscure-but it's another movie on Netflix Instant that unfortunately is going away on the 1st of May. That's why I had to watch it now. He described it as “David Mamet writing The Big Chill” mixed with “The Breakfast Club written by a hedonist”! Yeah, it is that strange. I mean, Roy Scheider says: “I love to f***! It's gonna be on my gravestone!” I swear to God above I am not making that up.

To steal the plot description from the IMDb:

“A group of men get together to form a "discussion group". They share their feelings about women, life, love, and work. The party gets rowdier and rowdier, and then the wife returns home. Thrown out, the men are not yet willing to call it a night... “

I mean, in the opening credits the women are listed as either “Wives & Girlfriends” or “House of Affection”, which is a... brothel! Yes, this is a real film which features the actors already listed plus Treat Williams, Stockard Channing, Craig Wasson, Cindy Pickett, and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Wow what a misogynistic movie this is. Women in general look like shrill loathsome harpies, and Keitel (after taking a hit from a joint) brags about how he hit his wife and she cried and that gave him an erection! That's what you get from this talky movie. There's also a scene of knife-throwing, Roy Scheider saying, “A nice whiff of c***”, Frank Langella wears a paper plate mask (!?), Harvey Keitel telling someone to “make coffee and shove it up your ass!”, Treat Williams informing the group he hit a woman for eating a bite of his dessert (?!), an 80's soft jazz score, a visit to a brothel, a ventriloquist dummy, the aftermath of Roy and a random whore having really sweaty sex, a male character saying, “I think I'm gonna have an eruption!” to an erotic statement he heard, Frank-who is said to be hung like a horse!-getting asked in a crude way if he's gay (and this is after he has makeup applied to his face by Jennifer Jason Leigh), the males howling like dogs... and even more that I won't spoil.

The real reason to watch this isn't to be entertained by a good movie, as this certainly isn't it; rather, it's to be amazed at how strange and wrong-headed this is. I think that Keitel's character (and yeah, he gets nude; what a shock) wasn't the only one involved here who ingested drugs! Really, it's incredible. I suppose they got this cast together because this was based on some book I've never heard of, but seeing these guys do these things... strange. It is a shame it is going away on Instant as it was never released on DVD, probably to the relief of the big stars in the movie.

But hey, I had no idea that Roy Scheider could dance so well to Dixieland Jazz...

I'll be back Wednesday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment