Monday, April 22, 2013

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan



Runtime: 116 minutes (the Director's Cut, anyhow)

Directed by: Nicholas Meyer

Starring: William Shatner, Ricardo Montalban, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan

From: Paramount

Yes, the most famous and what many say is the best Star Trek film... including me. I saw it on the big screen (via a DVD projection) at Universal Studios and their AMC Theatres. This was shortly before the '09 Star Trek came out. That was great times. I know I have seen it on VHS tape as a kid, on ABC TV, on DVD, and on the big screen. Good times.

I did do something different before seeing this late last night: I went on YouTube and I watched the Space Seed episode from the original series that introduced the Khan character. I know I saw it as a kid, but that was at least 20 years ago. You don't need to watch it to enjoy the movie as the movie explains pretty well what happened in the episode, but it does add to the experience and back then the performance and character were real charismatic and just cool. What a great head of hair Ricardo had back then. It was as great as what he had in the film. 

I did laugh at the sexism on display; it was a random woman character who happened to be a late 20th century historian and that was appropriate as Khan was a genetically created superhuman who ruled in the 1990's before going off to space with his pals and being in cryogenic sleep for 200 years. He tries to take over the ship with his followers but he gets thwarted.  As it is established that Kirk and most of the main crew admire Khan even though he did bad things on Earth (something that Spock thought was illogical), it is not surprising that they didn't go to Space Jail or what have you and instead they were sent to Ceti Alpha 5 to see if they could start a new world. Well, as explained in the movie, a planet nearby it exploded so it went out of whack and the planet became a desert world and Kirk never visited the planet in 15 years to check up on it (as promised in the episode) so you can understand why Khan would be pissed off about it.

Before I move on with the nerditry, the YouTube copy has the original 60's commercials; I don't know how they found the copy but they did and talk about a product of their times. Advertisements for cigarettes and RCA Victor, for example.

As for the movie's plot, it's still great, where Khan is looking for revenge and he and Kirk engage in a battle of wills and wits, and Kirk is concerned about his old age and how much longer he'll get to be a captain of a star ship, and then there's the Genesis Device and whether or not it's ethical or not, and then there's Spock's sacrifice... it's grand entertainment and it's still exciting and fun to watch even more than 30 years later. And yes, from years of the Internet I know that many people are still terrified of the scene with those eels going into the ears of Chekhov and Terrell, and it's understandable as it's a horrific thing to have something go into your body, have an effect on your mind, and then make you go crazy.

So yes I am glad that this is the sort of movie which still holds up in modern times. Hopefully Star Trek Into Darkness can be just as good as this one. I have no idea what to expect as J.J. Abrams isn't one of my favorites and there's all the mystery about Benedict Cumberbatch's character and whether or not he will be playing Khan or not. I am starting to think he is but I know that will end up causing a lot of controversy and angry Trekker fans due to how beloved the original character is. Montalban-a Mexican-as the Indian (as in from India) Khan Noonien Singh isn't so preposterous. The decidedly British Cumberbatch as an Indian, though... they really must be changing the character if he is Khan, and Lord knows how the reaction will be to that. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

I'll be back tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment