Friday, September 13, 2013

Insidious/Insidious: Chapter 2

Insidious (2010)


66% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 164 reviews)


Runtime: 103 minutes


Directed by: James Wan


Starring: Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Ty Simpkins, Lin Shaye


From: FilmDistrict


Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013)


38% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 77 reviews)


Runtime: 105 minutes


Directed by: James Wan


Starring: Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Ty Simpkins, Steve Coulter


From: FilmDistrict


I figured that on the night of a Friday the 13th, it'd be appropriate to talk about horror films, and last night I saw a double bill of the original Insidious (which I have seen on DVD before but I never gave an official review to) and its brand new sequel. I wish the crowd at the screenings would have been more ideal and not such rude A-holes but I don't want to get into that.


You likely know the plot of the first movie already: the normal Lambert family move into a new house when strange things start happening; they presume the house is haunted (the oldest son also falls into a mysterious coma) so they move... but the strange things continue. They seek help from an odd woman (Shaye) and her Ghostbusting pals; such odd things as astral projection and a place known as The Further is brought up.


I say that it's uneven but still a fine watch. I enjoyed it more than the first time around. Sure, the budget limitations do hurt in the presentation of The Further, but I am able to laugh at the wackiness that happens, as there are wacky things that happen. It is still a movie that has effective thrills and chills so it's an entertaining enough time.


The sequel... of course I don't want to spoil much but I do have to say that this is different from the first movie. There are still thrills and chills to be had, and there are also allusions to movies of the past; I won't mention which one as you may figure out what I'm referring to. Those allusions are mostly organic and don't seem like blatant cheap things done to fill up the plot. There's still wackiness present, by the way. It's already gotten mixed reviews so your mileage may vary. I thought it was a little better than the first overall.

It's no The Conjuring, but it's still nice if you enjoy the horror genre. I am glad that this year there have been some quality horror films out.



I'll be back tomorrow night with the movie I saw yesterday afternoon on the big screen before the double bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment