Sunday, October 7, 2012

Two Documentaries & A Mockumentary

Machete Maidens Unleashed! (2010)

Runtime: 84 minutes

Directed by: Mark Hartley

Starring: A bunch of interviews, featuring the likes of Roger Corman, Joe Dante, and John Landis

From: City Film Worldwide/Film Finance/Film Victoria


Runtime: 80 minutes

Directed by: Elijah Drenner

Starring: A bunch of interviews, also featuring the likes of Joe Dante and John Landis; it's narrated by Robert Forster

From: Lux Digital Pictures


Runtime: 87 minutes

Directed by: Joel Anderson

Starring: Rosie Traynor, David Pledger, Martin Sharpe, Talia Zucker

From: Mungo Productions

Here are the last films I saw on Netflix before my monthly subscription expired today. Who knows when I'll sign up for it again. To my non-surprise I decided to see a pair of documentaries, and a mockumentary I heard real strong praise for in a messageboard thread.

Machete Maidens Unleashed is a 2010 documentary about the old Filipino movie system and how American companies went over there to film for cheap and when Ferdinand Marcos went into power and The Philippines became a dictatorship they have full cooperation of their government and even the usage of the nation's army. It's from the same people that made the great Not Quite Hollywood about the Australian film scene of old. To steal the plot recap from the IMDb:

Karate-kicking midgets! Paper-mache monsters! Busty babes with blades! Filipino genre films of the '70s and '80s had it all. Boasting cheap labour, exotic scenery and non-existent health and safety regulations, the Philippines was a dreamland for exploitation filmmakers whose renegade productions were soon engulfing drive-in screens around the globe like a tidal schlock-wave! At last, the all-too-often overlooked world of drive-in filler from Manilla gets the Mark Hartley (NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD) treatment in Machete Maidens Unleashed! This is the ultimate insiders' account of a faraway backlot where stunt men came cheap, plot was obsolete and the make-up guy was packing heat! Machete Maidens Unleashed! features interviews with cult movie icons Roger Corman, Joe Dante, John Landis, Sid Haig, Eddie Romero and a large assembly of cast, crew and critics, each with a jaw-dropping story to tell about filmmaking with no budget... “

Yep, that sums things up pretty well. You see plenty of film clips of movies that look pretty wild, although I recently saw a movie that they featured (TNT Jackson) and that wasn't too good. You also get a look at the start of Corman's New World Pictures, as many of their early movies were filmed in that country. For a dork like me this was a real fun watch, as I got to learn many new things I did not know before.

The same goes for American Grindhouse, a look at exploitation movies from the silents all the way to 70's. Needless to say, a lot of material is covered in 80 minutes and while I do wish that more time was spent on each of the topics they discussed, it still was something I enjoyed as I once again learned information I had no knowledge of beforehand. It was fun hearing a discussion of how this unique thing started and why it was popular back in the day. I know that the DVD of the film has additional material that would be of interest to me. Now, just finding it without ordering it online...

Now, onto something completely different, an Australian film from a few years ago that I heard some really strong praise for on a messageboard. It's Lake Mungo, a film that wasn't really what I was led to believe it would be... it is mainly a drama with some supernatural elements about a 16 year old girl who drowns in a lake, and the impact that has on the girl's family. Some spooky things happen but not everything is as it appears to be and the 16 year old Alice has some secrets...

Now, the movie is fine. It looks legit from the way the footage looks to the natural acting. The story was interesting, at least at first. But, like I said it wasn't what I was expecting it to be based on word of mouth and advertising. I was expecting a horror mockumentary but instead it was more of a drama than anything else. Sure, I felt bad for the family but as you had various plot twists happen, the story began to lose more and more steam. Plus, it's mainly realistic as you'll see, but then there's a major jump scare that got me... but it stuck out as being different from everything else. There's a lot that wasn't explained, which was both good and bad depending on what it was. While it wasn't terrible I still felt underwhelmed given all the great praise I heard about it. It wasn't as awesome as many people say it is, sad to say.

I'll be back tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment