Friday, October 5, 2012

Lawrence of Arabia



Runtime: 222 minutes (at least I believe this was the length of the version I saw)

Directed by: David Lean

Starring: Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn

From: Columbia

Last night I finally got to see this film the way it should be seen... on the big screen. I wish I could have seen it in its original 70mm format but as that's unlikely, I instead went with Fathom Events and their one day only presentation of it all across the country. Besides the actual movie, they showed two trailers, had a few minutes of Martin Scorsese talking about the movie, showed some newsreel footage from back in the day, then there was a brief introduction from the still alive Omar Sharif, all 80 years old of him. There was also a 15 minute intermission. Thus, that is why I am not 100% sure how long it actually was. I know that it started at 7 and I did not leave the auditorium for good until 11:15. A real long night, but so worth it. It's now the longest movie I've ever seen in a theatre.

I don't really need to give a plot recount of T.E. Lawrence's exploits (or at least how he explained them then how things were modified for film); in fact, a great way to read a more scholarly take on the movie is to read this Filmsite Movie Review which goes into real detail about everything and has a nice intro which explains the film in a manner far greater than I could.

Instead, I'll mention that the movie is still an all-time classic. The story is so epic, the lead character so complex and interesting, you get to see his rise and then downfall for a variety of reasons... if you haven't seen it you really should. It is especially great to see it on the big screen; the vast desert landscapes really stand out in a big format, and it's just a beautiful film to look at. What else can I say about such a masterpiece? I am not quite sure. I can say it's coming out on Blu-Ray next month, which is the reason why they had this special showing. The print looks great.

I'll be back Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment