Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Taken/Taken 2




Runtime: 93 minutes

Directed by: Pierre Morel

Starring: Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace, Famke Janssen, Katie Cassidy

From: 20th Century Fox



Runtime: 91 minutes

Directed by: The greatly named Olivier Megaton

Starring: Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace, Famke Janssen, Rade Serbedzija

From: 20th Century Fox

So, I figured that today I should see the sequel to Taken on the big screen, given that's how I saw the first one and for the most part I enjoyed it. Now, I knew that 2 had gotten some strong mixed reaction, even amongst big action fans, but I still wanted to see for myself if it was any good or not. I went and saw it at a place which is a decent distance from where I live but they were showing it on a giant screen, so I figured that would be the best way to see it.

I rewatched the first one last night. I am sure I don't need to go too in-depth on what the plot is, of the daughter of Bryan Mills (and her pal) getting kidnapped in Paris and given that Bryan is an ex-CIA agent, he uses his set of specialized skills to track her down. The movie was ridiculous at times and there were a few points where I wish the action was easier to make out, but overall that vehicle gave a huge boost to Neeson's career and make him into an awesome old ass-kicker. It was also just fun to watch and it was nice how the early part of the movie took time to tell a story. Sure, it involved a 20-something woman playing a 17 year old who was the typical annoying teenager, but it's the thought that counts and like I said, I enjoyed it overall.

Taken 2, though... man did I not like this film at all. What a massive disappointment. To modify a memorable line from the first one, the sequel should never engage in dick measuring with Now, I haven't seen any films from the greatly named Olivier Megaton, but from realiable sources I know that his previous movies (including Columbiana and Transporter 3) weren't well-received. No wonder why... I am sure I don't need to go into the plot here either. Via circumstances not worth going into, Bryan Mills, his ex-wife and the laughably still a teenager Kim are in Istanbul and the father of a guy that Mills killed in the first film (it was Marco, the guy responsible for taking Kim) is looking for revenge so they attempt to kidnap all three.

Now, that idea is certainly a fine one and an interesting angle on how even if a bad guy gets killed, the family/friends of the bad guy will certainly feel upset and sad and wish for vengeance of their own. But here, that idea gets wasted... the movie is just plain stupid. I don't want to get into spoilers so I'll try to be vague, but there are times where Bryan Mills appears to have paranormal supernatural powers to figure out the crap he does and get out of thorny situations. I mean, it's to the point of insulting your intelligence. And, there are such things as still a teenager Maggie Grace (who is only a few years younger than I am, and I am 31) still not having a driver's license. The movie does a wishy-washy job of explaining why. Is it even a spoiler to say that of course in the movie she is forced to drive a car? And yeah, she is still an annoying character.

Sure, the story is stupid and totally implausible often; but I'd be more forgiving of that if the action was awesome and pulse-poundings. Well, maybe the action was that; problem is, it was impossible to tell because there was a whole lot of shaky-cam and incoherent editing going on. I mean, much more so than the first one. It was almost nauseating watching all that on a giant screen. That made me pretty mad. Then, how the movie ended... totally not satisfying, and I'll leave it at that. How can you screw up the climax so badly?

So yep, massive disappointment; stick with the first film and don't even bother with this one.

I'll be back Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment