Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Prometheus




Runtime: 124 minutes

Directed by: Ridley Scott

Starring: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Logan Marshall Green, Idris Elba, Charlize Theron

From: 20th Century Fox

Oh, this movie... as I've said before when talking about Aliens, that movie and the original Alien are pretty awesome works of filmmaking. It's been a long time since I've seen Alien 3 but the producer's cut they have on there is far better than the theatrical version, but of course it would have been best if they let a guy who proved to be a highly renowned director in hindsight do his own thing instead of the studio interfering. It's been even longer since I've seen Alien Resurrection but the one time I saw it, I wasn't really a fan, despite some cool moments.

Of course, in my universe those AvP films never happened.

I remember when this project was first announced there was a general negative reaction; amongst the complaints I heard was that “Who cared how that space jockey ended up in the giant chair you see in Alien”? It turns out, this movie doesn't actually answer that question as it takes place on a nearby planet but not THE planet where Alien and Aliens take place!

I don't know when but suddenly people got real excited for the movie. Maybe it was the teaser trailers. Unlike most people, though, those trailers did nothing for me at all. Then, the movie came out, first elsewhere and then here in North America. I heard some rather mixed reviews; turns out, on a forum I looked at a massive thread after the fact and the mood was generally negative towards the film. I was surprised as before I had heard some rather positive reviews, and not just from Roger Ebert.

I am not sure what to say about the plot as it not being known was a big drawing card for the pre-release advertising. I'll just go with what was said on IMDb: “A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the Universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.” That's pretty accurate.

I'll talk about the positives first: The idea of the story is real interesting and rather ballsy for a big studio film. The visuals, sets, and what have you look really great. I mean, it's a pretty sweet universe. Most of the performances are at least fine.

However, the script... it's not that great. I don't know if the movie got cut to hell but too often things just don't make a whole lot of sense. Characters act one way in a scene and then in the very next scene they do a 180 for no reason at all. Big to extremely big moments happen and most if not all of the other characters really react to it at all. There's a shocking reveal and I have no clue why it was even done as if done in a different way it would have been a lot better and made much more sense. It's things like that which really hurt the movie. There are many examples I won't list but they are there.

But at least Idris Elba (the best and coolest character in the film) gets a booty call from Charlize Theron! I have no idea why it happened as it came totally out of left field, but good for him. I have no idea why STEPHEN STILLS gets referenced; yes, I am not BS'ing here. I guess that in the late 21st century Crosby, Stills, & Nash (and sometimes Young) are suddenly highly revered. I at least laughed at that sort of unexpected left turns.

In terms of how this is related to the Alien movie and its universe... the best I can say while being vague is that it is in the same universe but it's not really a prequel. Some things are explained but a lot is not.

As you might expect the people who (fairly or not) expected this return to the sci-fi genre by Scott to be as great as Alien or Blade Runner (two of the best all-time films in said genre) are devastated by how it turned out. Me, I am still disappointed by it as the script really is not that good; it's not a massive disappointment though as I never had great expectations for it and at least the visuals and sound were great and they tried to be pretty deep.

I'll be back tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment