Monday, June 11, 2012

Blonde Ambition



Runtime: 93 minutes

Directed by: Scott Marshall (the son of Garry, believe it or not)

Starring: Jessica Simpson (unfortunately), Luke Wilson, Andy Dick (really unfortunately), Penelope Ann Miller, Rachael Leigh Cook

From: Millennium Films

Yes, I watched a romantic comedy. I've covered many genres while I've been doing this; that particular genre, though... no. Those just aren't for me, to be honest. However, I managed to find this (nevermind how) and I was curious to watch what I heard was a really bad movie, released only in 8 theatres in Texas and grossing a TOTAL of 1,132 dollars; that is mind-boggingly awful. It did much better overseas, as least comparatively speaking. I laugh that it's from the company that later gave us such movies as The Expendables and Conan the Barbarian. I chuckle that this was a vanity production for Jessica and her incredibly creepy dad, who helped produce the damn thing.

As you can tell already, I am not a fan of either Simpson nor Andy Dick, and they didn't do anything here to make me think any better of them. In fact, they pissed me off! I mean, Jesus H., this film... while there are some lines that were amusing, overal this is a slog.

The plot: a country bumpkin girl ends up in New York, lives with her cousin (Cook), and through some wacky circumstances ends up being used by her co-workers at her new job, and she also romances Ben (a dissheveled Wilson, but would you want to look your best for this sort of movie?)

Where do I start... the story is rather terrible. It utterly fails in being funny and romantic. And you'd think that the makeup department would want to make their big star look fantastic. Well... she usually has on way too much makeup, as if she's playing a circus clown. Thankfully the rest of the ladies weren't painted so harshly so they looked better. I'd always take Ms. Cook 10 out of 10 times just based on looks alone, and her worked or real persona alone is enough to make me avoid Ms. Simpson at all costs. Besides, I'd have to fight off her fighter for the love of his daughter... and oh yes, this is one of those movies where characters lie for no real good reason and bad things happen because they are unwilling to say the simplest things to each other.

I hope that all the people who had to appear in this dreck at least were paid well. Besides Rachael and the other people I listed above there's Willie Nelson (!), Larry Miller, Penny Marshall (not exactly a surprise given that the director is her nephew) and not that I have ever liked him, but Ryan Dunn has a brief appearance. I never thought he was funny or amusing and it goes with the rest of the Jackass guys. The fact that he killed himself and unfortunately killed his pal while drunk driving in his fancy car did not make me suddenly like him, let me put it that way. So of course a bunch of people were saddened that he passed away and seemingly did not care at all about the passenger and I rightly said that he was an ass who killed an innocent person due to his actions, and boy did some people get pissed at me; figures. I still stand by what I said, though.

Anyhow, I say that you REALLY should avoid this unless you're a Rachael Leigh Cook completist, you want to see a really unsubtle and stupid film, you enjoy the lead character complusively brushing their teeth (?!), you enjoy goofy and lame slapstick, lame office politics are your thing, or you want to see some guys playing priests from Norway singing Baby Got Back and getting wasted at karaoke.

I'll be back Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment