Thursday, April 5, 2012

American Pie





Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Paul and Chris Weitz

Starring: Jason Biggs, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nichols, Shannon Elizabeth, Seann William Scott

From: Universal

Yep, I got to watch this on the big screen for the first time just earlier tonight. I first saw it on VHS, I believe, or maybe it was DVD. Either way, I am pretty sure I saw the second on the big screen (I enjoyed it) and I know I saw the third on the big screen (I didn't quite enjoy it). Sometime soon I'll watch American Reunion theatrically. Thanks to AMC Theatres I was able to finally see the first one in its true format, even if it's not the sort of film that has to be seen that way, unless you factor in the crowd thing. I went to Downtown Disney to watch the movie, and given that I saw zero mention of it anywhere on the Internet until I stumbled upon it the night before, the crowd there wasn't too bad.

You know the plot by now: Jim, Oz, Kevin, and Finch are four dudes who happen to be high school seniors and virgins and they get bothered by that fact so they decide to form a pact to get laid at their senior prom so that they could all go to college as men instead of boys. They experience complications and wacky set-pieces and also deal with the obnoxious but funny Stifler... and his mom also gets involved.

Viewing it in 2012, the movie is still funny and entertaining. Dirty humor can be timeless, you know. But the biggest thing is that you like all of the characters; you can relate and understand to them and their troubles and you hope that they all get a girl in the end; no one acts like a dumbshit just for the plot's sake and they don't do anything obnoxious that turns you off because the screenwriters were idiots. Thus you always enjoy watching the film and are glad when things turn out well and yet you can still laugh at all the comedic moments they end up in, all of which are still hilarious, from the pie to Finch going into the women's bathroom to the whole webcam deal with Nadia and Jim. The crowd tonight laughing at the funny moments was nice but I am glad I got to see it that way, as the movie still works totally well in 2012.

I'll be back on Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment