Friday, April 20, 2012

Dying Breed



Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Jody Dwyer

Starring: Nathan Phillips, Leigh Whannel, Mirrah Foulkes, Melanie Vallejo

From: Ambience Entertainment

Here is a horror film I saw last week and I basically picked it out at random. I looked at the back of the box and noticed it was from Australia; why not see some Ozploitation? Although I'd love to see some of the old genre movies from the 70's and 80's from the Land Down Under, as shown in Not Quite Hollywood.

Note that this was a movie put out by After Dark Horrorfest, back when that was around. To be honest, the majority of films put out by them were random low-budget affairs that aren't really worth seeing.

The plot is about some people going into rural Tasmania to look for proof of the Thylacine; from looking at some cryptozoology stuff in the past I know it's legit that the marsupial with that name went extinct in 1936 but after that there have been alleged sightings once in a blue moon and of course there's been no concrete proof to go along with those sightings. Also included is another thing from legit history, which is Alexander Pearce, a convict in the 19th century known for becoming a cannibal as he escaped from a prison that was on the island.

All that backstory I provided... I say it was more interesting than the actual movie. As the back of the DVD revealed much of the plot, I'll say that current-day cannibals get involved and you see what I'll call Australian versions of Rob Zombie white trash; I guess the main difference is that you hear the phrase "Oi!" used a few times.

My problems with it was that it took a hell of a long time to get going. And, one of the main people you follow, Jack... he's rather off-putting. He's the smart-ass of the group but I was real turned-off by the boorish act he put on. I mean, he was an unlikable asshole instead of a charming one. And he was played by the guy who starred in Wolf Creek.

Then, there were some confusing/badly told story elements that at times left me puzzled and not sure what exactly was going on. And the final 15 minutes or so are just silly; I mean, I laughed at something which was supposed to be THE scary entity of the movie; that is a problem.

There really isn't anything else to say about this film. I wouldn't say it's totally worthless. After all, you get to see some very pretty Tasmanian scenery. What gore you do see is well-done. But the story makes this a slog to get through.

I'll be back Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment