Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Special Case Of Randomness

Unfortunately, I have to do this as the thing I was planning on watching tonight is out the window. It’s a long story, but to try and be short… I was going to watch a movie from the late Ken Russell (no relation, I swear; he was a British director best known for helming Tommy; in general he was known for directing flat-out weird movies. I don’t think it’s quite like David Lynch, but still odd nonetheless) which I happened to download from the Internet awhile back but never watched. I know, I know, but it’s one of those movies which I don’t think has ever been released on DVD, at least not Region 1. I was going to watch it on a portable DVD player I got from a relative long ago, but it finally crapped out on me, and as that’s the easiest way for me to watch burned DVD movies… that review will have to wait for a later day, although I see that someone did upload it to YouTube just a few days ago, likely as a tribute to Mr. Russell.

So, to fill time I'll post something I posted on a messageboard recently. It was something strange I stumbled upon on a religious channel, and I only saw parts of it. However, it was so odd I might as well post it here too.

So, earlier this afternoon I was channel-surfing and I stumbled upon a surprising sight, and on a real surprising channel. I landed on one of the religious channels I get, and who do I see? Why, Gary Busey... acting a scene with Margot Kidder! I later find out it's some crappy religious-themed movie called Apocalypse III: Tribulation, which concerns The Antichrist (Nick Mancuso) and his pals (apparently members of the Illuminati... hey, they use the pyramid with the eye on top) wiping out most of the world and brainwashing the rest of it via a *virtual reality helmet*. I kid you not, there's brainwashing involved and they do it to those who don't believe automatically by using one of those virtual reality helmets from the 90's. And yet this movie was released in 2000. Believe me, I didn't watch all of it but instead some random scenes, and it is pretty bad. Here are some more things of note:

* Busey and Kidder play brother and sister.
* Gary ends up in a coma and you see him awaken years later. He sports a Kris Kristofferson-style haircut with matching beard. It's quite the look. Somehow, he manages to shave the beard and cut his hair BEFORE escaping from the hospital.
* I see some guy with black-rimmed glasses and a goatee, and I think, "No, it can't possibly be him", but indeed it was Howie Mandel (!!)
* Margot Kidder is apparently an atheist, and it wasn't until production started that she realized this was a serious religious production. But of course.

I do wish I could have been on set for the making of that film. I can't imagine a more batshit insane male-female duo than Gary and Margot!

I'll be back Saturday night. As I plan on finally seeing some movies in December, I should be a little more active than I was this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment