Thursday, February 3, 2011

Locked Down

Locked Down (2010)

Runtime: 99 minutes

Directed by: Daniel Zirilli

Starring: Tony Schiena, Vinnie Jones, Rashad Evans, Bai Ling, Kimbo Slice

From: Lionsgate


I’ve mentioned before there’s been some quality action movies that happened to go to direct to video instead of getting a theatrical release. I’ve reviewed some of them before, such as Ninja and Universal Soldier: Regeneration. For the next few weeks I’ll review a few more of those films for any of you wanting to check something out in the action genre and what’s been on the big screen hasn’t whet your appetite as of late.

This movie is NOT one of those.

This is one of those movies from Tapout, the clothing line. They “present” it so I’m sure that’s why you have some recent DTV films out there which “star” some popular MMA guys but their roles likely are glorified cameos. Those movies don’t really get talked about in the community, which I consider to be a red flag. But, I took the plunge anyhow and picked this out at random at Blockbuster to see how it was. The MMA guys here are Kimbo Slice, Joe Doerksen, Cheick Kongo, Forrest Griffin, and Rashad Evans. Only Evans has a role that’s longer than a scene or two. He’s fine. Kimbo is amusing as he’s pretty much playing himself. The other guys… not so much.

Another movie from recent years that has gotten love in the action community is Undisputed II, a sequel loosely related to a movie devoted to boxing in prison. I haven’t seen II yet, but it’s MMA fighting done in prison. Well, I haven’t seen that but I understand this movie has a lot in common with that… only UII is much better. In short, a cop gets set up by someone and ends up in prison, where a mob dude (Jones) runs an MMA fighting thing in the basement of the clink; no kidding, and everyone is in on it and is fine with the whole deal.

Even with the laughable plot, the movie isn’t worth watching. The fight scenes are only alright, some of the acting is rather poor (and not just from some of the MMA guys), and I’m sure Undisputed II is a lot better than this film.

I will at least list some notable things so that you don’t ever have to watch this:

* The fighting stuff is alright, I suppose, but it does look overly choreographed. Kimbo Slice, though, does a powerbomb in one bout, as if he's a WWE wrestler! The opponent no-sold what should have been a finishing move; that pissed me off.

* There's random female nudity throughout, which I didn't complain about.

* You do get to see Bai Ling in her bra and thong panties in one scene; I didn't complain either! However, I don't really buy her in the role she had, which was that of a prison guard! I kid you not. She also managed to get into a fight in the jail with the lawyer that represented our hero.

* Did you know that Wushu is a JAPANESE martial art? That's what the movie tells you, anyway. I hate to break the news to the filmmakers, but Wushu is a popular CHINESE martial art. And, the statement comes from the stereotypical "wise old sage" who used to run a martial arts school before getting sent to prison! Talk about insulting.

So yeah, hopefully I’ve explained adequately enough why this is something you shouldn’t rent or buy.

I'll be back Saturday afternoon with a new review.

No comments:

Post a Comment