Friday, October 2, 2026

The Abandoned

The Abandoned (2006)

Runtime: 99 minutes

Directed by: Nacho Cerda

Starring: Anastasia Hille, Karel Roden, Valentin Goshev, Valentin Ganev, Paraskeva Djukelova

From: A number of different European companies 

I wanted to view a film from the old After Dark Horrorfest and a Letterboxd mutual mentioned they were a big fan of The Abandoned.

An adopted woman returns to her homeland of Russia in her early 40's. Her family history is so murky, it took years to discover she's inherited a rural farm in the middle of the woods, totally isolated. Atmosphere is provided by both the woods and abandoned buildings, whether in the daytime or at night. After the opening act, the viewer discovers this is a tale of the weird & surreal variety; as one of the screenwriters was Richard Stanley, that in hindsight isn't too big a surprise.

The Abandoned does have plenty of moments featuring what I call “2000's horror movie green”-you know which shade I'm referring to. The film also has a measured, deliberate pace; this won't be for all tastes but when I'm interested in the plot and characters-as was the case here-my interest never wavered. I did appreciate this unique tale on the haunted house genre. Its style and vibes makes it stand out compared to the other flicks I'll view during Spooky Season this year.

The interesting story set in the woods of Bulgaria (substituting for Russia) featuring a small cast & some effects... The Abandoned & its idiosyncratic take on family will resonate better for some than for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment