Saturday, December 23, 2023

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Yes, I'm talking about the stop-motion classic from 1964 that is a perennial favorite on television around this time of year: 

Yes, this was something I watched as a kid, but hadn’t watched since I was a kid. As I hope to watch movies the next few days that simply are at least “good” regardless of any connection to the yuletide season, last night was the time for a YouTube viewing, where a user combined several Rankin-Bass specials alongside retro commercials that typically were related to Christmas or were winter-based.

It can be easy to be a Scrooge and nitpick this to death. “The Abominable Snow-Monster” notably changes size a few times throughout. The non-famous songs aren’t as great as the title song or Holly Jolly Christmas. At least one big event happens suddenly. Those points duly noted, nostalgia does help in this case. It was still a charming tale where yes, plenty of elves & reindeer come off as real A-holes against Rudolph just because he has a shiny nose & Hermey (what a name, especially for an elf) because he doesn’t want to make toys and instead be a dentist. That said, there are still nice messages for the family… “don’t be a bully and pick on those that are different” is one. So is “don’t run away from your problems.” This is all presented in simple yet pleasant stop-motion animation.

Several elements from this production became iconic: Burl Ives as the snowman narrator, The Island of Misfit Toys, The Abominable Snow Monster, prospector Yukon Cornelius, and of course Rudolph himself. Now I realize why those characters are still so fondly remembered almost 60 years later. While the songs created for the show aren’t quite as classic as the old standards we also hear, all are at least good. I can’t answer if any of my nephews/one niece have watched this like I did in my childhood; hopefully they have and they were as charmed as I still am by it.

I’ll wish everyone a Merry Christmas, or at least a Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment