Sunday, October 22, 2023

The Wolf Man is Still Pretty Good

By the time this movie started at the drive-in after midnight, a good number of people have left. I’m not the type to use the term “normies” as barf, but the hardcore horror fans would be the segment that would still be around for a marathon that started at 7:30. As for The Wolf Man, it is best to copy and paste part of my original review from 2017: 

“This movie, my main impression was... what a pushy creepy guy Larry Talbot was, and not only was that the lead character, it was even before he was bit by a werewolf! This dude rolls back into his old home area, and immediately he uses his dad's telescope to peep on attractive blonde Gwen Conliffe and he is then all over this dame, not taking no for an answer and thinking it's OK to meet up with her despite her telling him not to. 

Sure, they eventually go out for a long romantic walk... in the woods with Gwen's friend and he tries to save that friend from the werewolf, but at least with my eyes and in 2017, it did not play quite like it did in 1941. I know that some won't care for the subplot involving the old Gypsy stereotypes but that personally doesn't bother me too much... of course I am not Romani but I can comprehend why they would feel differently.”

I agree with my original opinion; it should have been mentioned by me that Larry’s behavior was even worse than described; besides being a rich member of the hoi polloi due to his wealthy family, but the Gwen character already had a boyfriend. Thing is, even with that bad behavior-at least by 2023 standards-the film is still pretty good. There’s Talbot’s self-struggle once he realizes he was bitten by a werewolf thus he became one himself but no one believes him… dad Claude Rains joining the rabble to think that his son was stricken by mental illness, Larry’s relationship w/ Romani Maria Ouspenskaya, etc.

The chief highlight of The Wolf Man wasn’t the transformation scene-which was rather basic, to say the least-but rather the great atmosphere in the nighttime scenes in the foggy moors of the UK setting. That’s where the attacks happen and where the film concludes. The cast as a whole is swell; of course Rains was a standout but so was lead girl Evelyn Ankers, Ouspenskaya, and by the end, Lon Chaney, Jr. as Ol’ Larry. I did feel bad that he had to suffer such a miserable fate. Thus, I can still enjoy the film despite the Talbot creepiness in the first act.

Tomorrow night will be my final review from Friday night’s festivities, and also a thankful return to normalcy.

No comments:

Post a Comment