Tuesday, October 3, 2023

I Give a Better Review of Dracula 1931... the Spanish Version, That Is

I’ll be discussing more Universal Horror (including this, the Spanish version of Dracula) this month than expected. To clarify, later in the month I’ll go to a drive-in (yes, those are still around) that is having a 5 movie marathon of Universal Horror where I won’t be back home until the wee hours of the morning. I’ll discuss it when that time arrives but all 5 will be reviewed in what will be a busy weekend even though 4 of them I’ve reviewed in years past.

The reason why I mention that now is that one of the quintet is the Lugosi Dracula and well, I’m always happy to note that the perfect pairing w/ that is the Spanish version filmed w/ Spanish-speaking actors at night on the same sets that Tod Browning used for his movie during the day. Way back in 2015, Fathom Events presented (w/ TCM) the English and Spanish versions of Dracula '31 back-to-back as part of a double feature; that’s how I saw them and reviewed the pair at the time. The plot here is what you expect from Dracula, especially if you know Browning’s version.

Some prefer this version to the Lugosi film; I understand why. Among other things, this is half an hour longer which is (usually) a benefit, at least in allowing the story to breathe. I still think the English version is a little bit better, chiefly due to Browning’s experience-at least in this genre-as a director (although George Melford was more experimental) and Lugosi’s performance. I mean, some reaction shots here are blatantly reused multiple times in the same scene. That is only a small slight as it is still a pretty good picture w/ great atmosphere due to the sets and the general setting.

There IS the comedy for me that Dracula here (Carlos Villarias) happens to resemble… Nicolas Cage! Back in my original review, I noted w/ confidence that we’d never see Cage actually play Dracula. Yet another wise proclamation on my part! His performance was good but compared to Lugosi… in addition, if you thought the Renfield in the English film was wild, wait until you see this incarnation of the character. I was going to write how it’s unfortunate that it takes someone owning the movie as part of a Universal release of their 30’s/40’s Dracula movies (whether DVD or Blu) to check it out as there wasn’t any streaming options available. However, purportedly tomorrow it is to appear on… Tubi, because of course.

One last note: That screening noted something that shocked me: lead girl Lupita Tovar was still alive at the age of 105. She did not pass away until 2016 at the age of 106. She did not have the most memorable career but prejudiced Old Hollywood is likely to blame for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment