Saturday, October 21, 2023

Bela Lugosi's Dracula is Still Great

I discuss how I saw it in an epic way last night along with other films: 

So, last night I experienced my first movie marathon... one presented in public rather than done by myself at home, that is. Even better, it was at a drive-in; yes, those are still around. Two Fridays ago the Silver Moon Drive-In in Lakeland had more modern films on both of their screens but I saved money by waiting for last night, where only one screen had the marathon and that was Universal Horror. Tonight, twice on Sunday and Monday night will be the rest of the reviews but this was first. 

Back in 2015 I saw this theatrically w/ the 1931 Spanish Dracula via Fathom Events; I'm always down for viewing the Tod Browning film. To my surprise the marathon actually drew a big crowd—the other reviews I'll discuss them and how there were some fly-eaters around who thankfully did not ruin the experience. No surprise that many left before the marathon concluded.

Do I need to dwell on the plot of the Bram Stoker plot? Even if you're like me and haven't read the novel, there have been so many cinematic adaptations that it's unnecessary. There's Mina, the Harkers, Van Helsing, Renfield, and all the rest. What I didn't recall was that the ship transporting Dracula to England was NOT the Demeter but rather the Vesta. Otherwise, it's what you expect and it has the requisite vampire lore. Admittedly, my favorite version of the tale was made by Hammer in '58 and those that think this is a slow, creaky tale w/ no score... I get the criticisms yet those elements don't bother me and this adaptation still thrills.

Of course, Bela Lugosi is the main highlight; what a performance just from his stares & his delivery. The rest of the cast is swell and Dwight Frye as Renfield is a riot w/ his OOT performance but Bela stands out. Then again, I can't forget the excellent mood & atmosphere from the sets... whether it be Dracula's barren castle filled w/ armadillos because they're “weird” animals or various exteriors/interiors in England or Transylvania. A delight, this will always be; if possible, pair it w/ the 1931 Spanish Dracula.

Around 6 to 7 hours from now, my review for the second film in the quintuple marathon will be posted; that is even more of a classic than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment