Monday, December 12, 2022

The Muppet Christmas Carol

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

Runtime: 89 minutes

Directed by: Brian Henson

Starring: Michael Caine plus a bunch of humans & Muppets; it works

From: Disney/The Jim Henson Company

Light the lamp, not the rat!

Before I get to reviewing this film, it has to be mentioned that due to exorbitant flight prices, my annual December sojourn to visit some family in the Heartland of America (Kansas) has to be done now instead of later in the month. My flight was at the buttcrack of dawn on Sunday so most of the day was spent in the Midwest; I'll be back home by the middle of Friday afternoon. Until then, I thankfully will have some free time each day where all the little boys are off to school; they're great and all but also pretty exhausting so a break is welcomed by me.

Another thing I'm thankful for is that my sister is subscribed to some streaming services so in the holiday spirit I am able to use those. Via Disney+* was a movie I saw once, likely on VHS soon after it came out. Presumably by now everyone knows this timeless tale, one reason being that it's an oft-told time in cinema. I've seen some adaptations in the past but this one doesn't stand out for the musical numbers-it's not even the first one to do this-but rather how the film combined human and & puppet characters, and the movie made me believe this world.

What entertained me the most was of course Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge, who without a problem was great in a role where he changed from the most miserly, miserable black-hearted SOB you'll find to the person glad to have another chance at life. What I hardly remembered was that Gonzo portrayed Charles Dickens with Rizzo the Rat, playing himself. They were a hilarious duo with their comments and pratfalls; when the movie became serious they vanished into the finale, which was one of the many fourth wall breaking moments. After all, this has Dickens as a character who is narrating the story to Rizzo and the audience, so that wall is knocked down often.

The familiar Muppet characters being integrated into this film playing familiar parts from the novel, the charming Paul Williams song, a familiar story being told in a fresh way, the dialogue of Dickens being delivered seriously even if it's from a Muppet... thank goodness I was able to revisit The Muppet Christmas Carol.

* Thankfully I had knowledge of this new development before today, but if you want to see this on Disney+ AND it's the full version with the previously excised song it's in the “extras” section instead of it having its own page.

No comments:

Post a Comment