Thursday, August 25, 2022

I See Another Laurel & Hardy Short

This time it was 1932's The Music Box, watched on YouTube. Before I say a few words about that half hour short, I talk about... baseball. That's because this is what I did yesterday, which explains why no review was posted on that day: 

Or: I talk baseball for the first paragraph. If you’re wondering why, I actually saw this half hour short on Tuesday night but waited to post it until two nights later as last night was spent at a Tampa Bay Rays game where they faced off against the Los Angeles Angels; Tampa won 4-3 in 11 innings. It was nice seeing both Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani play for the Angels—the former hit a home run. Given that LA has been lousy despite having two of the best players in the game for a few years, thank goodness their meddlesome owner just broached the idea of selling the team. The last time I mentioned baseball-a few months ago-I dunked on the Baltimore Orioles as people far more knowledgeable than me thought they would once again be poor this year; speaking of meddlesome owners, they also have one. They made us all look like dumbasses as the Orioles still have a shot at making the playoffs this year. I should have predicted doom & gloom for the Washington Nationals instead.

Anyhow, the premise of his half hour Laurel & Hardy short is deceptively simple: they have to transport a piano-in a giant wooden box-up a long flight of stairs to someone’s house; from what I understand this device has been used to comedic effect in relatively recent media. Of course, they run into some jerk characters which only exacerbates the task. This does mean that they have to muscle it up those stairs several times. It is great physical humor of the duo faking that a light empty box actually weighs a few hundred pounds; even if at times you do see the wire, that is charming to me instead of a detriment.

I enjoy physical comedy and this brand of silliness (heck, even wacky character names like Schwarzenhoffen) so naturally this would… hit the right note.

No comments:

Post a Comment